question for instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwesler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I remember in my class that some people just seemed to be bothered by some things more than others. For example, two students became almost panicky when they had to clear their masks, and they said it was the feel of water on their face.

I've noticed similiar themes in other threads.

How do you, as an instructor, deal with these issues that seem to be hard-wired in our brains? I am VERY comfortable in the water, and always have been. But that is pure luck-it did not come from training or experience. However, it MADE my training MUCH easier for me than some of the other students.

Do you have "tricks" that you use to address specific problems? Are there "hot button" areas where some people tend to become afraid?

Just curious...

Ken

It's not "the feel of water on their face."

Everyone who takes a SCUBA class is comfortable with water on their face or they won't pass the swim test. Admittedly, there are ways to avoid actually swimming in some classes, but for the most part everyone has had water on their face long before the get to mask clearing.

The problem is breathing with water surrounding their nose.

This is a frequent subject of discussion simply because it's usually handled so poorly. It's sad because it is a very easy problem to prevent.

Check this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171&perpage=15&display=&pagenumber=1 for an explanation on how I prevent it from becoming an issue in my classes.

My question was more on modalities of learning, but you actually did answer it. Correct me if I am wrong...my creating a situation where the student feels in control (just stand up if you are uncomfortable) you get them to focus on the skill, not their discomfort. Is that the idea?

Pass the problem child to an assistant so they can catch up while the rest of the class moves on to other skills. Sometimes, it takes a few people trying a variety of approaches before it clicks. I also subscribe to what NAUI's leadership materials point out about the students who need to feel supported so badly that they unconsciously enhance drama to keep instructors focused on them. The solution: make sure they never feel alone.

"by creating a situation where the student feels in control (just stand up if you are uncomfortable) you get them to focus on the skill, not their discomfort. Is that the idea?"

That's a large part of everything I do in my classes. Confidence and comfort are important. Push the limits just a small bit at a time.

The other thing I'm doing with this excercise is misleading them. They think they are learning to use a snorkel. They really are learning to use a snorkel, but they are also learning no mask breathing. They don't realize that until three pool sessions later when we get to no mask breathing. I never tell them it's difficult or that lots of people have problems with the skill. As a result, the skill is easy any they don't have problems with it. When we do get to no mask breathing, I remind them they've already mastered this skill, it's merely review, but on SCUBA this time.

When a student feels in complete safety, they learn better and faster. I approach it somewhat differently, as I want them to understand the physics of mask clearing as well...

In the shallow end, I have them put on their mask FULL OF WATER and stand there talking with them for a bit. I may ask them a SCUBA question or two, point out that they don't breathe through their eyeballs, and that they shouldn't try it through their noses either. After a bit, I ask them to slowly exhale through their nose... and their masks magically clear. I have them repeat this breathing through a snorkle and then a regulator. They are in complete control through out the whole process, and they understand that water is heavier than air too! Since this is THE skill that seems to stop people from progressing any further, I spend more time on it than many others. I also teach them this rhyme...

Look at your toes,
Blow gently through your nose!
When you finally see the sky,
Your mask will be dry!

Most people try and clear with their mask in one position. It works better if you sweep from looking down to looking up.

Back
Top Bottom