Question for Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
What is considered "completing your skills competently"
The reason I am asking this is I don't think there is any standard among training agencies for completing confined and open water skills. Take for example the skill of mask clearing, if it takes a student 20 attempts to clear his or her mask is that acceptable? Should they pass or fail? One instructor may pass them while another may not. Is this a judgement call with instructors?

It is a judgment call. Although the instructor manual is thorough, it’s not that detailed. That’s where instructors differ, we’re not robots and what I may see as acceptable or not acceptable, another instructor may see the opposite to a degree. If it take someone 20 attempts to clear their mask, and they finally get it, and can duplicate the task with no real difficulty, then they have completed the task in my opinion.

We can’t make expert divers out of students. That holds true for dive students, student pilots, student photographers, and so on. We can only show them what it is they need to do, and have them show us that they can do it. It may not be picture perfect, and we tell them they will need to practice and work on perfecting the skills. But a learners permit is what the first level of certification is for many sports or activities.

The standard I use is the student can perform the skill easily without any distress every time I ask them to do the skill. Standards require "mastery" of all skills.

I use that standard that if the student performs the skill without issues. Basically if it takes 20 attempts to blow out the mask to clear it, as long as they don't panic or shoot for the surface, I find it acceptable. Then during practice after class is over, I have them try it again. I do this with all skills that students have issues with.

Walter:
The standard I use is the student can perform the skill easily without any distress every time I ask them to do the skill. Standards require "mastery" of all skills.

I agree with Walter, they have to be able to do the skill without having problems. You can see it in there eyes when they are doing a skill most the times if they are comfortable with the skill or stressing out. If they are panicking then they obviously are not comfortable with the skill. Mastery = proficient which comes with practice, and no one expects any new student to be perfect, but they at least have to be comfortable and show they understand how the skill is performed without freeking out.

Ditto the comments by Walter and rstone.

I am also not satisfied with just seeing a skill done once. Over the duration of the course I will see skills done 10 or 12 times during various activities. Proficiency is expected to improve.

JBD mentioned what I was gonna say,

I have the students do the skills numerous times over the course. Sometimes on the last night in the pool, I'll have all the students repeat the skills, and i'll hop from one skill to another, from one student to another, so that they have a chance to do it without thinking about it, if in this case I'm happy and the skills flow in a natural way, I'm happy with the standard.

Scubafreak

If I correctly read between the lines here. There are "minimum standards", although the agencies appear to take the difinition of minimum very seriously.

"The least possible quantity or degree."

Student must demonstrate mask clearing skill.

Is this in fact the minimum standard? Not a rhetorical question.

I won't repeat what has already been mentioned as acceptable, but I will say. Simply freaking amazing!

Praise is due those of you who rise above the minimum standards. Way,way - above.

I guess I need to clarify my comments before I get linched. I do move on after the student clears the mask or performs their skill even if there are problems. At the end of the pool training I allow extra time for them to practice and get used to moving around a little more. I make it a point for myself or my DMs to work with students on skills they had issues with. We work with them until the skill is performed correctly and rather smoothly. I don't look for perfection, I look for control and the successful completion of the skill. They do not go to open water until these skill are done to my satisfaction.

jimmyboy:
What is considered "completing your skills competently"
The reason I am asking this is I don't think there is any standard among training agencies for completing confined and open water skills. Take for example the skill of mask clearing, if it takes a student 20 attempts to clear his or her mask is that acceptable? Should they pass or fail? One instructor may pass them while another may not. Is this a judgement call with instructors?

This is a great question. May I ask why the interest? PM me if you wish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom