Question for those w/MA lobster license...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divin'dog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It's been a long time since I've had my lobster license but just renewed it online (look out bugs!). They use a new number system for the permit #. Mine happens to be my driver's license # which is 9 characters long. Am I expected to put all 9 characters on my tank?

Before it was the last 4 digits of your SS# which seemed sensible. If the numbers have to be 3" tall and 1/2" thick, it's going to get crowded on an AL80. Didn't anyone making the regulations think this through?

How did you put the numbers on your tank and flag? Did you put them all on the same line and wrap it around the tank? horizontally or vertically? or stack the numbers? I tried to call the MassHuntFish during the week but noone picked up.

9 numbers?....You sure bout that dog?....I got 5 and they do wrap aways around the tanks....Fill up the flag too!

I'm just as surprised as you are... My Non Commercial Lobster Permit ID is 9 characters long! It's my entire driver's license #! Customer ID is shorter but not the number I'm supposed to use. I'll call Mass DMF but they probably won't know what to do other than what's written in the guide. I was just wondering if anyone else had a long number too.

It's in the literature somewhere from massfishhunt.org, but you only need to display the last 5 digits of your customer ID. Be aware that this ID may change if you skip a year of registering for a permit.

HTH!
Steve

This is all I could find in the Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Recreational Lobstering and Crabbing Guide:
Gear Marking
Divers must display their assigned permit number upon their tank and a floating marker (upright single panel at least 12” x 12”, white background, black numerals at least 3” high, 1⁄2” in thickness or width of line on both sides of the marker ...or directly on their dive flag). A group of divers may use only one floating marker listing the permit number of EACH diver in the group.

I just tried calling DMF... of course they are supposed to be open at 8:45 but I get a message that "Your call cannot be completed. Pls call again later. Goodbye!"

Skip a year and it changes?....Whoa...Thanks for the info Solor...had to scrape and relabel 5 tanks...Shpould have been smart and used D. Sutton tank method....Plastic number strap.

Ok... so I try calling DMF a couple more times... seems like they are permanently out to lunch. I could never connect to someone to talk to. So I call the Environmental Police. Voila! She transfers me to DMF, who then transfers me to someone else, who then transfers me to someone else, who then says I need to speak to her supervisor!!! This is our tax dollars hard at work?

Anyway, the man says not to enter anything into the field where it says Drivers License (Proof of Identity)...? (So how do you create a Proof of Identity?) He says there is a bug in the program. He did tell me to just use the last 5 digits of the Permit #.

Thanks all who responded. Now I hope I can make use of my permit with some tasty bugs.

BTW, does anyone know if you need a license to take scallops? to take mussels?

no

no

I didn't think so, but ya'never know...

Back
Top Bottom