Question for Zeagle Zena Owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CapsFan22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

My girlfriend dives with a Zeagle Zena that we bought about 2 months ago. It was excellent for her checkout dives. Today was the first time we were able to go diving since then, and after the first dive was over, the velcro attaching the shoulder section came undone. It didn't seem like a big deal, she just put the velcro back together. It was then that we noticed an issue; every time she picked the BCD by the shoulder straps the velcro would come undone. When looking closer, I noticed that there was no webbing attaching the metal tri-glides to each other between the shoulder section and the midsection, it was relying solely on the velcro to keep those two pieces together. This became particularly problematic when the BCD was on a tank. We ended up tying all of the tri-glides together with nylon string, and that worked fine for the last dive of the day.

So onto my question; is this normal for this BCD or should webbing be there? My Zeagle Stiletto has webbing keeping the shoulder section attached in case the velcro fails, so I can only assume there should be the same on hers. Is there another way to keep these sections attached that we are missing?

Thanks!

Hello fellow Virginian! I have a Zena and I have never experienced that issue. I don't even remember Velcro on the BC except in the small pocket/mesh bag. I'll double check the BC configuration tonight (just got home from Roatan) when I have a second.

I'd call Zeagle. My Zena is over 10 years old so the design may have changed, but mine is like your Stiletto; it has webbing holding the shoulder section on (in addition to the Velcro, which holds my lumbar pad in place).

It sounds like either a manufacturing problem or a serious design flaw. Either way Huish should take care of you IMO

Last edited:
Hello fellow Virginian! I have a Zena and I have never experienced that issue. I don't even remember Velcro on the BC except in the small pocket/mesh bag. I'll double check the BC configuration tonight (just got home from Roatan) when I have a second.

Hey there! Woohoo Virginia Divers! We were at Lake Phoenix, which I am sure you're familiar with. I believe the velcro is there because of the modularity of the design. Jealous about Roatan, that's on my bucket list.

I'd call Zeagle. My Zena is over 10 years old so the design may have changed, but mine is like your Stiletto; it has webbing holding the shoulder section on (in addition to the Velcro, which holds my lumbar pad in place).

It sounds like either a manufacturing problem or a serious design flaw. Either way Huish should take care of you IMO

Thanks! I will contact them right away. It seemed like quite the flaw to us as well. Appreciate the response.

So I checked out my Zena and have to agree with DiveMaven. I think something may be missing from your BC. Did you trade out one of the sections for a different size? Anyway, I'm attaching some pics of what the section looks like on mine. Happy to take more if it helps.

View media item 203049View media item 203048View media item 203047View media item 203046

Thanks so much for taking those pictures! I really appreciate it! The webbing is definitely missing from her Zena. I'll be contacting Huish tomorrow and Scubatoys where I bought it from.

We knew before buying it that she would need an XS shoulder section with a Small waist and vest, so Scubatoys ordered it that way directly from Zeagle and then shipped it to us.

Thanks again for taking the time to take those pictures!

On a second look, it actually looks like the tri-glides are held to their individual sections by webbing, and then threaded through each other, as opposed to an independent piece of webbing holding the tri-glides together (if that makes sense). I'll have to look closer at her Zena and see if that's what is supposed to be going on. Perhaps when the XS shoulder section was put on hers, they just didn't thread those tri-glides through each other.

Update: Checked out her Zena, and what I described above is accurate. The shoulder Tri-Glides are intended to be threaded through the midsection Tri-Glides, thus holding the two sections together in conjunction with the velcro.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
On a second look, it actually looks like the tri-glides are held to their individual sections by webbing, and then threaded through each other, as opposed to an independent piece of webbing holding the tri-glides together (if that makes sense). I'll have to look closer at her Zena and see if that's what is supposed to be going on. Perhaps when the XS shoulder section was put on hers, they just didn't thread those tri-glides through each other.

Update: Checked out her Zena, and what I described above is accurate. The shoulder Tri-Glides are intended to be threaded through the midsection Tri-Glides, thus holding the two sections together in conjunction with the velcro.

Thanks for your help!
Yes. Most Zeagle BCs are like that. Should work similar to this.

Back
Top Bottom