question on diving problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jumpinjammin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My brother has problems with his ears, He just cant seem to equalize and pop his ears after he is done diving.

He has nose bleeds and spits blood after diving.

It also happens when he is just snorkeling and goes down 10 feet.

Do you know what the problem is, and what it is called?

Is their any way to solve this problem?

I worry may keep him from diving in future.

I could really use an expert opinion, thanks all.

How about seeing a doctor.:confused:

Oh and don't let him dive before he does.

How about seeing a doctor.:confused:

Oh and don't let him dive before he does.

Great advice from an expert. Now if the Brother will just listen...

My brother has problems with his ears, He just cant seem to equalize and pop his ears after he is done diving.

Does he even equalize during the dive?
And why does he even want to pop his ears after the dive?

Great advice from an expert. Now if the Brother will just listen...
Nope NO expert at least not medical.But as an instructor I've seen to many students,who thought it was no issue. And when the finaly went to the doc. they had somekind of trauma.

IMO to many peaple are seeking medical advise on the internet.
Nothing wrong with that as a second or better third opinion.But no one can make a diagnose over the internet.

If he's trying to 'pop' his ears after diving, coupled with the bloody nose etc. - it's highly likely that he has difficulty equalising on the way down and already has a middle ear squeeze.

Could be poor technique, could be physiological. In most cases, the signs and symptoms above are not serious, but it's certainly worth getting your ears and sinus cavities checked out. It may be he has slightly smaller airways and therefore should be equalising earlier and more often.

Hope that helps.

C.

I find that when I dive, for the next day or so I feel like I should be equalizing my ears more often than normal. Though, if I were to have any type of bleeding accompanying it I would see a doctor IMMEDIATELY. This sounds like a major problem and I would not want to make it worse by not having it checked out.

I would also suggest not flying until it is checked out since that may cause a problem with equalization as well.

First off...SEE A DOCTOR!

Second, could be wax build up causing PART of the issue...

Third, SEE A DOCTOR!

I don't know about many people, but if I had blood coming out of my head and I didn't know why..I would SEE A DOCTOR!

It sounds likely that he has some kind of obstructive issues with his Eustachian tubes and sinuses. A consultation with an ear, nose and throat doc is probably the best idea.

Ear clearing can be a matter of technique, but blood from the nose suggests either way too vigorous attempts at equalization, or some kind of sinus obstruction.

How long has this been an issue? Has it occurred for a long time or is he new to diving and experiencing this? Sounds like it could be sinusitis (acute or chronic). I have seen (and even experienced first hand), an inability to equalize as well as blood secreting from orifaces (nose, ears or mouth) due to sinusitis.

The best advice here is for him to go to his doctor and get professional medical advice before going back into the water at all. If it is simply acute sinusitis, a week out of water and some Sudafed should do the trick. But see a doctor to check it out for sure. Good luck to him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom