Question on drysuit and buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bopper, the applicability of the emergency neck seal purge is totally dependent on where you dive and in what water temperatures. There is no way a diver can maintain use of his hands here in Puget Sound (especially in the winter) with thin gloves, and a hood with a skirt you can tuck in significantly adds to our thermal tolerance. The neck seal purge is really a completely farfetched idea for divers here, or divers under ice, or anywhere where the water is truly cold. In our water, you simply have to learn to anticipate suit volume changes and stay ahead of the curve.

Bopper, the applicability of the emergency neck seal purge is totally dependent on where you dive and in what water temperatures. There is no way a diver can maintain use of his hands here in Puget Sound (especially in the winter) with thin gloves, and a hood with a skirt you can tuck in significantly adds to our thermal tolerance. The neck seal purge is really a completely farfetched idea for divers here, or divers under ice, or anywhere where the water is truly cold. In our water, you simply have to learn to anticipate suit volume changes and stay ahead of the curve.

Yep. And so I was very careful to preface my comment with "some people don't like the idea of this but it worked for me". :wink:

I noticed the poster was in So Cal just like me. And I have a pretty good tolerance to cold water when it comes to my extremities. I always use a flimsy Lavacore hood, and when I have my big camera I will very often dive w/o gloves altogether.

But even when I dove wet and still to this day, I will never dive w. gloves thicker than 3mm. I always insist on the added dexterity that they provide. It would be interesting to see how I would fare in the PNW though.

I have not read the entire thread. BUT. I have not heard many problems wtih dry suits being involved in uncontrollable asscents by those that use the air in the suit to control suit squeeze and uses the wing for bouyancy. There is just not much air left to be a problem. I have heard of run away fill fvalves and mis set auto vent valves but that is a different issue i think. I say that because both fill and vent valve issues are usually fixed with lp hose removal. If not then you need to get the valves looked at. Untill then disconnect the fill hose and burp the neck seal. As long as you have a working wing you will never need to add air to go up. |And if so you dont have a uncontrolled asscent cause you will have a decent issue.

[QsuspectE=KWS;7002921]I hifve not read the entire thread. BUT. I have not heard many problems wtih dry suits being involved in uncontrollable asscents by those that use the air in the suit to control suit squeeze and uses the wing for bouyancy. There is just not much air left to be a problem. I have heard of run away fill fvalves and mis set auto vent valves but that is a different issue i think. I say that because both fill and vent valve issues are usually fixed with lp hose removal. If not then you need to get the valves looked at. Untill then disconnect the fill hose and burp the neck seal. As long as you have a working wing you will never need to add air to go up. |And if so you dont have a uncontrolled asscent cause you will have a decent issue.[/QUOTE]

This can still happen if you use your bcd for buoyancy. It happened to one of my dive buddies several times until he learned how to dive his drysuit. He never took a course, just tried learning from someone who did not know how to teach.

No statement is ever 100%. The point is, is that yopu need to use your bc or wing for bouyancy and the suit for protection. I have never been upside down in my DS when diving in that manor. I did when I used it for bouyancy control and not use the wing. That is not true if you have a leaky fill valve or vent valve. Of course your results may vary. Especially if the suit is not properly fit. Lastly I must say that any comment is conditonal to proper use. As you have said " It happened to one of my dive buddies several times until he learned how to dive his drysuit."

[QsuspectE=KWS;7002921]I hifve not read the entire thread. BUT. I have not heard many problems wtih dry suits being involved in uncontrollable asscents by those that use the air in the suit to control suit squeeze and uses the wing for bouyancy. There is just not much air left to be a problem. I have heard of run away fill fvalves and mis set auto vent valves but that is a different issue i think. I say that because both fill and vent valve issues are usually fixed with lp hose removal. If not then you need to get the valves looked at. Untill then disconnect the fill hose and burp the neck seal. As long as you have a working wing you will never need to add air to go up. |And if so you dont have a uncontrolled asscent cause you will have a decent issue.

This can still happen if you use your bcd for buoyancy. It happened to one of my dive buddies several times until he learned how to dive his drysuit. He never took a course, just tried learning from someone who did not know how to teach.[/QUOTE]

I am not avocating the use of the dry suit only for buoyancy, I am suggesting not to say never to use it for buoyancy. I was taught both methods but now use a combination. I put enough air in my dry suit to be warm, comfortable and have good mobility. If that is not enough then I add to my bcd. When I ascend I vent from the dry suit first then the bcd as needed.

I sometimes read comments here about using the drysuit as a backup in cause the bcd fails during a dive. If I am going to use my dry suit as a backup I do not want to learn how to control it after my bcd failed.

There are people in both camps. Your arguement can be used equally well regarding the use of the wing. I think we are saying the same thing. Fill the ds to be comfortable and warm, (minimal amount of air) and use the bc from that point. This is completely different from those who dive with an MT wing or bc and do all bouyancy with the suit. Can it be done,,, yes. Are you more subject to a running bubble, yes.. Bouyancy will always be a joint effort of both the suit and wing. The only issue is who plays the major and minor roles.

I am not avocating the use of the dry suit only for buoyancy, I am suggesting not to say never to use it for buoyancy. I was taught both methods but now use a combination. I put enough air in my dry suit to be warm, comfortable and have good mobility. If that is not enough then I add to my bcd. When I ascend I vent from the dry suit first then the bcd as needed.

I sometimes read comments here about using the drysuit as a backup in cause the bcd fails during a dive. If I am going to use my dry suit as a backup I do not want to learn how to control it after my bcd failed.

Back
Top Bottom