Question on equipment service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swan1172:
I read recently that one of the most common times that divers have problems with their equipment is right after they have it serviced. In particular, one of the most common times for a regulator to free-flow is right after it is serviced. Everyone talks about how scuba equipment is really "life support equipment", which really makes me wonder about the training the people servicing this kind of equipment receive.

My question is what kind of training do the technicians at the typical LDS go through? Is it a one or two-hour seminar provided by manufacturers at one of the dive trade shows, or is it something more than that?

I dont know whats typical, but as an example of the local shops Im familiar with and worked for, it varies from staff being taught by the owner with lots of experience and training, to someone having done a service class in college. I personally feel there are four things you have to have to service regulators:

-training (generic and manufacturer specific)
-experience
-the right tools and workspace
-service manuals

My guess is that whats typical is on the job training.

jviehe:
I dont know whats typical, but as an example of the local shops Im familiar with and worked for, it varies from staff being taught by the owner with lots of experience and training, to someone having done a service class in college. I personally feel there are four things you have to have to service regulators:

-training (generic and manufacturer specific)
-experience
-the right tools and workspace
-service manuals

My guess is that whats typical is on the job training.

Now if you could just get the tech to read the manuals.... I've seen folks have regulator problems that if the regulator tech had followed the manual for the rebuilt, then it would have been set right, etc... instead of just putting it back together and sticking the reg on a tank to check for "leaks".

I would venture to say that over 50% of the people doing regulator service at dive shops have not had any formal training.

I guess one thing that I am trying to figure out is if scuba equipment is indeed life-support equipment, then why aren't the people providing repairs and service in some way certified and/or regulated? I know that some states like Florida have very specific regulations with regard to breathing gasses. For example, to fill scuba tanks you must file an air purity certificate on a quarterly basis and you must register with the Department of Health.

Why isn't their something similar for regulator service? After all, the most clean and pure air is worthless if you can't breathe it.

All the major manufs require that the LDS staff that work on service attend a service clinic.

Swan1172:
Why isn't their something similar for regulator service? After all, the most clean and pure air is worthless if you can't breathe it.

Probably because serious accidents and deaths attributable to equipment failure are very rare.

cerich:
All the major manufs require that the LDS staff that work on service attend a service clinic.

While this might be a requirement, it doesn't mean that it's enforced.

You used to work for Oceanic as a dealer rep. Are you telling me that every one of your dealers had a manufacturer trained & certified regulator tech? I find that very doubtful.

But I don't exclude that only to Oceanic. So I don't want it to see that I'm picking on you or Oceanic. I think that every manufacturer is equally guilty of this.

Besides me saying that at least 50% of people working on regulators have no official training, I'm sure that the same is true for people doing visual inspections on tanks.

I didn't know this was such a common thing. I've been diving for two and a half years. Earlier this year I took my regs in on time for schedule service. However after I picked the regs up I went on a trip to the coast to do some diving. At 60-65 ft I experienced a HP leak which effected both of my regs. This made it very difficult for me to maintain my composure; much less a seal on my mask. I banged on my tank trying to signal one of my 6 other buddies and all I saw were fin tips.

My training came to mind and I was able to make a CESA and abort the dive. After wards my buddies had no clue this happened until I told them. When I got back into town I went back to the dive shop and a O ring in the 1st stage had settled and formed a leak. I've since aquired a pony bottle and additional regulator, should this happen again I'll be ready.

Keep in mind I was in 86 degree water during summer in Panama City.

awap:
Probably because serious accidents and deaths attributable to equipment failure are very rare.

That is a very good point. So, since most regs are engineered to fail open (i.e. free-flow) and because serious accidents and deaths attributable to equipment failure are very rare, why don't the manufacturers provide divers the ability to service their own equipment by selling repair kits to anyone? I know that some like Dive Rite are doing this now. Why aren't others following suit?

mike_s:
While this might be a requirement, it doesn't mean that it's enforced.

You used to work for Oceanic as a dealer rep. Are you telling me that every one of your dealers had a manufacturer trained & certified regulator tech? I find that very doubtful.

But I don't exclude that only to Oceanic. So I don't want it to see that I'm picking on you or Oceanic. I think that every manufacturer is equally guilty of this.

Besides me saying that at least 50% of people working on regulators have no official training, I'm sure that the same is true for people doing visual inspections on tanks.

Mike I said require, not happens!

The reason I posted the thread on what to look for with equip. service was because the quality of service is so inconsistant.

Swan1172:
That is a very good point. So, since most regs are engineered to fail open (i.e. free-flow) and because serious accidents and deaths attributable to equipment failure are very rare, why don't the manufacturers provide divers the ability to service their own equipment by selling repair kits to anyone? I know that some like Dive Rite are doing this now. Why aren't others following suit?

scared of liabily. Plus the percieved market of people that want to service their own gear is low.

The top reason is the fear that dealers will see it as taking away money from them and will respond by not buying their brand to sell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom