Question on extended stops at gas change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone, it makes alot more sense now. I didn't think about some tissues still on-gassing at depth. I'm guessing these would be the slow tissues, right? Sure are a lot of variables to think about.

Oh, and the profile was just something I made up to show what I was trying to explain. It didn't come from a program.

kramynot2000:
Thanks everyone, it makes alot more sense now. I didn't think about some tissues still on-gassing at depth. I'm guessing these would be the slow tissues, right? Sure are a lot of variables to think about.

Oh, and the profile was just something I made up to show what I was trying to explain. It didn't come from a program.

Sort of. Technically every theoretical tissue that is not at saturation for your stop depth will continue to ongass. For most profiles, this would be slower tissues. Real world, what you are trying to do is deco as quickly and efficiently as possible. As others have said quick is accomplished by highest pressure gradient which is achieved by switching to higher O2 deco mixes and by ascending to a lower pressure. You have to temper using ascending to shallower stops with the fact that ascending too quickly can create bubbles even if the traditional models say your tissue can handle the pressure difference without bubbling. You really have to hang around way too long to worry too much about on-gassing on deeper stops.

Back
Top Bottom