Question on the where to go and stay ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BK64

Registered
Reaction score
Wife and I are headed to Bonaire for 3 weeks of diving and already have our accomdations set. From where we are located it is cheaper to fly to Aruba or Curcao first. So we have kinda of decided to hit both other islands and split a week between both.Would like to get a feel for these destinations for future long term stay. Do you feel 7 days between the two would be too rushed or should we just pick 1 and stay the week. I'm not really concerned about the diving when there as we will get our fill on Bonaire but a day or 2 of diving on a different island isn't out of the question(must do site recommendations?). Any recommendations on places stay on both of these islands would be appreciated. Thanks

Made a similar circuit through ABCs last spring. Aruba known as Las Vegas with a beach. Stayed north of high rise hotels, several cozy guest houses, apartments. Can recommend Sunset Beach apartments.

Curacao is far more interesting, with excellent shore diving, pristine reefs. Many upscale resorts in the Oranjstaad and Spanish Water areas. For more laid back and natural beauty head for the Westpunt area. Search this forum for recommendations on apartments/dive operations.

The 'must do' dive is a drift dive on the Mushroom Forest off the beach at Santa Cruz. Too far out for a shore dive. Spectacular coral heads and lots of critters.

There is a character called Captain Goodlife that runs a small cafe and water taxi service on the sourth side of SC bay who will take you out to the Mushroom Forest and return to collect you at the end of your dive. Sounds dicey, but he says he has never lost a diver yet. Very affordable at $20 PP and his food is excellent as well.

rodraub,

We are headed to Curacao next year and would love to dive Mushroom Forest without having to do so on a dive boat. How does it work? He takes you to the site, drops you off to dive, and comes back in an hour or so? How do you get in touch with Captain Goodlife?

BK64,

We've been looking at 3 accommodations on the Westpunt side of Curacao you might want to check out--All West Apartments, Lagun Blou, and Marazul.

Thanks!

Hi BK64,

Aruba is very americanised. Curacao isn't. It's the largest ISland of the ABC and much more interesting. And ofcourse diving is something you must do on your own or with a dive guide.
Thjere are some spots you must see and can advise you if you're interested. Like the othe replies Mushroomforest is a must. With Captain Goodlife we as dive operator have good experience. We normally start at the Mushroomforest and end in the Blue room a very big cave. The dive will take about 60 minutes.
But like i said before if you're interested we can dadvise you.

Regards
Hans Pleij

Thanks for the reply's. Will diffently be doing the mushroom forrest and will check out the recommended places to stay. Hans I will be in touch.
Bob

Zihuatcat --

the Mushroom Forest is a drift dive. Captain Goodlife takes you out in his skiff and drops you at a spot that will take you 50 minutes or so to reach the take out point. Ideally, take out will be against the southern headlands of the St. Cruz bay, in front of the "Blue Room" submerged cave. The Blue Room was hard to locate from our vantage point of water level, so you might ask Capt.GL to motor over to it and catch it on a second dive.

As for contacting Capt. GL, I can only relate that the dive shop in Lagun told us of his water taxi service, you might contact them for a cell phone number. I know he has a cell but not sure how much advertising he does, or whether he shows up in any of the usual tourist service blogs/websites. He is a bit unortodox in all regards, if that hasn't already become obvious. He was a good waterman and his food was good, I have no reservations about recommending his service.

As for lodging, the All West Apartments are well situated overlooking the cove at Westpunt and seemed a reasonable if plain place to stay. They are very popular and book well in advance so don't wait too long if you are planning a high season visit. They also have some apartments further into Westpunt, not so close to the water, which looked comfortable.

We stayed at Marazul which is a bit more upscale cluster of condo/townhouse type units. They do have a nice pool area and a convenient source of tanks is located in a dive shop next door. I would be a little cautious about rentals in Marazul as last spring they seemed to be undergoing a transition from a property manager operated "dive resort" to "for rent by owner" operation. Our unit was less than advertised re: some little things like no hot water, no screens on some windows, postage stamp view of ocean. We paid $85/night for a 10 day visit.

Wherever you decide to stay, be sure to ask about window screens. Curacao, being fairly mountainous seems to wring more moisture out of the trade winds and rain means mosquitos. (and possibly dengue fever)

Another location to consider for lodging and dive operations is Lagun, about 20 minutes south of Westpunt. I found a ocean front/view apartment there for $100/day, considerably less for mountain view. A good source of lodging options of Curacao or any of the ABC islands is VRBO.com if you are not familiar with them (Vacation Rentals By Owner).

Good luck on your adventure.

Rod

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom