Question on where/how to carry weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scratch_Monkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I can put two 3# weights in the two trim pockets on the back of my BCD (6#s total) and be weighted perfectly. I've done several dives this way and it was really nice. However, since the weights are in my back trim pockets I have no droppable weight. I'm looking for opinions on this.

Do you think that it's okay to wear all my weight in this fashion or would it make sense to, say, purchase two weight pouches that I can stick on my BCD waist belt and spread the 6#s across the back pockets and the waist belt pockets? Something like 2#s in each trim pocket and 1# in each waist pocket. Or just wear a weight belt with two one pounders? I really don't want to wear a weight belt if I can help it.

FYI, I am able to stay at the surface with little effort with no air in my BCD so swimming back up under my own power is doable. But obviously with my weights solely in the trim pockets I can't ditch any and would have to either rely on inflating my BCD or ditching/removing the BCD altogether should I end up in a difficult situation on the surface.

Can you stay at the surface with a full tank and cramps in one or both legs? If not, find a way to ditch some weight.

Weight belts are great. But two pounds ditchable will make little difference. Six pounds in belt will likely put them out of trim. A line cutter applied to their hip belt and shoulder strap will ditch the rig in the combined failure of BC bladder rupture and leg cramps. And it’s useful for fishing line entanglements.

Weight belts are great. But two pounds ditchable will make little difference. Six pounds in belt will likely put them out of trim. A line cutter applied to their hip belt and shoulder strap will ditch the rig in the combined failure of BC bladder rupture and leg cramps. And it’s useful for fishing line entanglements.

MichaelMc, what do you mean by using the line cutter? Keeping the weight in the trip pockets and plan on ditching the BCD (via cutting it away with the line cutter) in an emergency?

If you dive a balanced rig then you don’t necessarily need ditchable weight. Make sure you are familiar with this.....the most ditchable weight you’ll need is the amount of negative weight of your gas.......ie. an Al 80 is about 4-5 lbs.

If you dive a balanced rig then you don’t necessarily need ditchable weight. Make sure you are familiar with this.....the most ditchable weight you’ll need is the amount of negative weight of your gas.......ie. an Al 80 is about 4-5 lbs.

SAFETY WARNING

We are in Basic Scuba Discussions. Ditchable weight is a best practice.

Last edited:
MichaelMc, what do you mean by using the line cutter? Keeping the weight in the trip pockets and plan on ditching the BCD (via cutting it away with the line cutter) in an emergency?

You should have some type of cutting device, line cutter not shark fender off-er, for diving beyond the pool, for entanglement issues. Common ones are EMT shears (i.e. Dive Rite Trauma Shears, w/DC Sheath), or small encased razor like cutters (i.e. EEZYCUT Trilobite Line Cutter, DGX Sharp Cut w/Sheath (Select Color)). Or two for when you drop the first.

You should be able to ditch your rig either by unbuckling or, at worst, cutting away straps. I think that, with cutters, is a reasonable balance against the risk of surface cramps and bladder failure in a BC that you have the proper weight for. And when trim leaves you few meaningful options for ditchable weights.

If trim had no effect on diving, I would say, yes put those 6 pounds in the belt, as ditchable is better as an option. And ditching a belt is a very simple and easy thing to understand. Yet I think being in trim and able to swim about effectively has safety benefit. So I think putting it all in the belt will leave you worse off, assuming you do know how to ditch your rig, and have some cutting devices as back up. An option is integrated ditchable pockets low on the rig for some of the weight, maybe 4 lb., and moving the other two even higher on the rig so you still stay in trim. The integrated ditchable do not move the weight as low as a weight belt, but you have to ditch each separately, and 1 lb. each would get a bit silly. You might need to have just 1 lb. each in the integrated pockets to still stay in trim, but calling that having ditchable weights is silly. It is better than all in the center of your back in trim pockets, but 2 lb. ditchable is not a meaningful amount based on using that as a surface safety option.

What BC, tank and wetsuit are you using? Just 6 pounds seems very little. Particularly if its an AL 80, wetsuit, and padded BC.

I'm assuming you are in fact in trim with the 6 lb. in the back pockets, and not swimming about head down constantly struggling to not do a headstand underwater. Moving some to a ditchable location would be good. One option to get more 'weight' higher is to dive with a frog kick and pose, it puts your legs bent up when they are in the resting position, as your leg position changes trim, this will free more of your 6 lb. on your back to move lower and be in ditchable pockets. It is something most technical level divers migrate to, and is very suited for easy recreational diving. diving frog kick - Google Search

Last edited:
I have no droppable weight. I'm looking for opinions on this.

Aside from the rare situation where no weight is required -- even with an aluminum cylinder and a lightweight BC -- I would never recommend that someone dive without ditchable weight. I have a rubber weight belt that I use that works well. They are available from a number of suppliers. I also have some 1.6 pound Mako trim weights that clip over my BC belt with bungees, and are easy to ditch. I like to use those if I only need a small amount of weight.

That said, I myself sometimes dive without ditchable weight. Here are some questions for you to ponder as you prepare to make your own decisions in this area:

* Can you ditch your kit in the water? On the surface as well as at depth?
* Can you swim up your kit under all reasonably foreseeable conditions?
* Do you carry an auxiliary source of buoyancy, such as an SMB or a drysuit?
* Will you be diving over unsafe bottoms or in areas deeper than you would be comfortable diving?
* Can you reach an open your cylinder valve while you are in the water?
* Are you confident enough of your diving skills and problem solving that you will be able to reach the surface and stay safe there if you e.g. lose your mask or the dive otherwise goes pear-shaped?

FYI, I am able to stay at the surface with little effort with no air in my BCD so swimming back up under my own power is doable.

At depth, due to suit compression, you may find it more difficult. Be sure you can do it with a full gas cylinder.

Back
Top Bottom