Question re Flathead 7 reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes, Work of Breath is a full cycle of air in and out.

There is a paper describing what they measure and how. If I find it I'll post a link.

I reckon that you are probably right. Most people wouldn't be able to differentiate between one a .72 and a .90. Also bare in mind that the test is at 60msw under heavy exertion. Very different conditions than the regular "recreational" dive.

This is correct. Your average Joe Diver would probably never know the difference.

What is basically comes down to is, if you are diving waters that are cold (mid 40's and below) you should get the dry sealed reg for sure. If you aren't, either one will work for you just fine, and the non-dry sealed reg breathes a little better ON THE MACHINE...

Thanks,

Scott

OK. One more question re the octo: should I just take my Oceanic Alpha off my old reg (15yr old but in good shape) and use that with the Flathead, or buy a new Zeagle octo, and which is best to choose. My old Oceanic Alpha octo is on a nice yellow Miflex hose.

Adam

OK. One more question re the octo: should I just take my Oceanic Alpha off my old reg (15yr old but in good shape) and use that with the Flathead, or buy a new Zeagle octo, and which is best to choose. My old Oceanic Alpha octo is on a nice yellow Miflex hose.

Adam

You probably want to buy a copy of Vance Harlow's "Scuba Regulator, Maintenance and Repair" (or something to that effect). Not all regs are born equal.

You will need to check that the Zeagle second and the Alpha are for example "downstream 2nd's" if they are sure why not. Otherwise they are not compatible.

Now bare this in mind, half of the performance comes from the 2nd. The 1st can deliver as much as you want but if the 2nd can't take it....Not sure how good or bad your Alpha is.

Consider that it is likely that you will be the one using it as the person in troubles likely to grab a working reg from a known place. That is your mouth!

You probably want to buy a copy of Vance Harlow's "Scuba Regulator, Maintenance and Repair" (or something to that effect). Not all regs are born equal.

You will need to check that the Zeagle second and the Alpha are for example "downstream 2nd's" if they are sure why not. Otherwise they are not compatible.

Now bare this in mind, half of the performance comes from the 2nd. The 1st can deliver as much as you want but if the 2nd can't take it....Not sure how good or bad your Alpha is.

Consider that it is likely that you will be the one using it as the person in troubles likely to grab a working reg from a known place. That is your mouth!

Hi,
The Alpha is the octo on my Oceanic Delta 2 and breathes almost as well as the Delta 2 primary. I don't like that the Flathead second stage has the adjustment knob, even on the secondary. This adjustment is fine for the primary but I don't like it on the octo.

What I may do is just use my old Alpha as the octo for now, and if there is a problem I can always buy one of the Zeagle octos later. Also I noticed that Scuba.com mates the Zeagle Envoy as the octo for the Flatheads.

Adam

As I said, they are probably OK most 2nds these days are "always closed" "poppet".

Just make sure that both seconds are of the same style. Otherwise they may not work together and you could face an unstopable free flow at depth, a non working octo or a butst.

It is very likely that they match just make sure they do before you go into the water. Apart from that, the performance will differ.

A good DIY test is to hook a very cheap 2nd to one of the ports and then try to breath at depth... sometimes its quite scary.

D

Of the regs that come to us for service, of different brands, many have a measured performance of over 3, and most are over 2!
Your octo of other brands will work properly if it set to perform properly with the supply pressure that the 1st stage delivers. If it's on a 1st stage that has higer IP, it may free flow and with low IP, it may breath like a dog.
The Zeagle Envoy doesn't have the Ease of Breathing adjustment but can be up-converted to the XP model.
The anti free -flow lever on the Envoy is a big plus for use as an octo, as it will prevent free flow but still allow for acceptable performance.
IMHO, the biggest single reason to avoid having a Frankenregulator, is you only need to find ONE qualified service facility to get your annual service completed correctly.

Of the regs that come to us for service, of different brands, many have a measured performance of over 3, and most are over 2!
Your octo of other brands will work properly if it set to perform properly with the supply pressure that the 1st stage delivers. If it's on a 1st stage that has higer IP, it may free flow and with low IP, it may breath like a dog.
The Zeagle Envoy doesn't have the Ease of Breathing adjustment but can be up-converted to the XP model.
The anti free -flow lever on the Envoy is a big plus for use as an octo, as it will prevent free flow but still allow for acceptable performance.
IMHO, the biggest single reason to avoid having a Frankenregulator, is you only need to find ONE qualified service facility to get your annual service completed correctly.

Amen!

Back
Top Bottom