Question regarding an altitude dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A recent discussion has me wondering about initial wait times regarding an altitude dive I know of. Here are the details:

A gradual ascent by auto from sea level to 2200ft. that takes 3.5 - 4hr's.

According to the PADI manual (regarding altitude diving) the altitude should be rounded up to 3000ft. For every 1000ft. in altitude two pressure groups should be assumed on arrival. Therefore I would be at PG F with a wait time of 1:35 - 4:35hr's to become an A diver.

Q 1: Is that true or would the gradual ascent time mitigate the pressure group I'm in upon arrival? The book doesn't seem to differenciate between flying to a destination and driving (gradual vs sudden ascent rates).

Q 2: Is there any concern with driving home afterwards (gradual descent from 2200ft. to sea level taking 3.5-4hr's)?

The discussion revolved around the suggestion that it could be done in a really long day trip with the objection that since it was an altitude dive one would have to stay overnight.

q1: Of course a gradual ascent would mitigate the pressure group ... to some degree. The question then becomes one of, "to what degree?" That would be a function of the accent profile, if you went to 2,000 feet in the first half hour and then held steady for the remainder of the drive it would be quite different than if you stayed at 500 feet or so till near the end and then climbed rapidly.

q2: As long as you are in a fairly continuous descent and and not see-sawing up and down there is not reason to not drive home.

Q 1: Is that true or would the gradual ascent time mitigate the pressure group I'm in upon arrival? The book doesn't seem to differenciate between flying to a destination and driving (gradual vs sudden ascent rates).

Your thinking is right but you should follow the protocol anyway. You need something concrete you can plan with.

Q 2: Is there any concern with driving home afterwards (gradual descent from 2200ft. to sea level taking 3.5-4hr's)?
Thal already answered this.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom