Question regarding Zeagle Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ny5169

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently have decided that I am going to ditch both of my regulator setups and go with either one or two new zeagle setups. (the 2nd set is always as a backup for either me or my dive buddy in case something goes wrong right before a trip, this way we don't have to scrap the dive.) My primary setup was a Dacor Pacer 96 1st stage, with a Dacor 2nd, and a Oceanic Slimline Octo, which I have decided to scrap due to a problem with the 1st stage. I figured it was time, since only one service tech could fix it due to no parts available and he stockpiled them up. The latter of which I would presume has something of a shelf life (which should also probably be up) My other setup was a Sea Elite which bought brand new 2 years ago and it free flowed upon receipt. Had to send it back for service 2 times for them to fix it (The Hp Seats were made in another country and kept cracking.) They fixed it at the end of the season and after only 3 dives this season, it started acting up again. Pure crap even though they are supposed to be made by apex (not confirmed).

Now for the question. Do you have a chart to see difference between all the model offered on the zeagle website, and what is the corresponding recommended suitable uses, i.e. Flathead 7, LT, ZX 50D, ZX DS-V, Envoy, Envoy Deluxe, Envoy Rezort. I can obviously note HP, LP Ports, Etc, but it is pain in the but to keep going back and forth. If you could also put it on your website, I am sure that it would help others. Thanks

I hope you will find this helpful but I can't give it to you in a chart. I just know the product line quite well.
The Rezort piston first stage isn't suitable for use in cold water applications where freeze up could occure. Another issue with it is that you won't like the hose routing if you need to run 3 low pressure hoses. Fine for use on a pony or with an integrated inflator in warm water. Not the same performance at great depth that their diaphram regulators can provide. Very low price.
Now the diaphram first stages.
DS5 is an Envoy with the cold water capability.
FH7 is the LT with cold water capability. Both are black annodized and come with the upgraded cosmetics on the 2nd stage.
50D is a cold water reg with a turret swivel port for easy hose alignment. This is their only swivel port 1st stage.
All of the diaphram 1st stage models will perform beyond the demands of a recreational diver by a wide margin.
There is only one 2nd stage and it's configured several ways. With adjustment wheel it's a ZX. Without the knob it's an Envoy.
For cold water, with a heat exchanger, it's a CW (cold water).

The flathead 7 comes with a "Z" 2nd stage that has an adjustment wheel. The exhaust T on the "Z" is a little smaller than the "ZX" version. There may be some other internal difrences internally that scott or someone else would be able to alude to.
Based on your location, you would probably want to go with a sealed unit with more cold water capability.
If you are not buying from a LDS the most bang for the buck might be the now discontinued Flathead IV. This would be a sealed unit and might well be the best performance for the price of any regulator regardless of brand. Zeagle express has a yoke model for $360 and better yet is a Din model with the adapter to also allow the use of yoke tanks for $385. If you are checking their website the flathead IV's are listed under yoke regulators. If you are buying from a LDS maybe they can get you a deal on the IV.

The flathead 7 comes with a "Z" 2nd stage that has an adjustment wheel. The exhaust T on the "Z" is a little smaller than the "ZX" version. There may be some other internal difrences internally that scott or someone else would be able to alude to.
Based on your location, you would probably want to go with a sealed unit with more cold water capability.
If you are not buying from a LDS the most bang for the buck might be the now discontinued Flathead IV. This would be a sealed unit and might well be the best performance for the price of any regulator regardless of brand. Zeagle express has a yoke model for $360 and better yet is a Din model with the adapter to also allow the use of yoke tanks for $385. If you are checking their website the flathead IV's are listed under yoke regulators. If you are buying from a LDS maybe they can get you a deal on the IV.

Is there much of a difference between the flathead IV and the 7?

Last edited:
A few things. The 7 is MUCH smaller in size and weight of the first stage. The 7 has 5 lp ports rather than 4 on the IV, the 7 only needs one pin spanner to service, the VI needs two. The 7's second stage has a smaller exhaust tee, different graphics, and comes with a Miflex hose.

That said, they are identical internally, and have the same work of breathing rating. So the unless the reduced weight is an issue for travelling, the VI is a screaming deal. I have 2 of them myself and love them.

Cheers,
Jim

Is there much of a difference between the flathead IV and the 7?

Nitro,
Just for clarification, the reg that preceeded the Flathead 7 was the Flathead VI (6), not IV (4).

Ah, I stand corrected my roman isn't as good as my imperial. At least oceanic sticks to imperial.

The weight diffrence on the 1st stage made little diffrence to me as I don't travel that often. I recently purchased the VI (I think I got it right this time) for about $400 plus another $ 50 for a miflex hose from a LDS. I could have goten the 7 for about $600 but prefered the idea of the larger exhaust T on the ZX that came with the VI. I think I had read somewhere that the WOB numbers for the 7 were a hair better than the VI. This is probably due to the smaller exhaust T. The diffrence would not be enough to physicaly tell while breathing regardless of depth.

Mail order on the miflex hose runs around $ 40.

My previous reg had a swivel on the 2nd stage that worked well. Info from a LDS and from the net seems to be that the swivels can be a prime point of failure with some on recall. IMHO the miflex hose eliminates the need for a swivel and is worth the extra cost. Due to the fairly recent introduction of the miflex hoses, who knows how long they will last.

Flathead 7 and don't look back. Great reg, with a Zeagle octo of course. Tried mine at 65 feet the other day and the octo breathed as well as the primary second. Love that Zeagle reg!

Back
Top Bottom