Question(s) of the Day, August 27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baltimoron

Contributor
Reaction score
well it seems i am up at two in the morning, just finished my summer reading report (they still make you do those even whe you are going to be a senior!!). Night is when my best ideas surface.

I picked up on this, and i decided to make it a bit different. seeing that the number of posts was minimal in the last day, i am going to make it Five questions instead of just one for more responses.

Just for fun, who knows what day it is on the Jewish calendar? Islamic? Buddhist? Who here can write the date in a number of languages?

what is your favourite word?

your favourite charcter in a book?

How many steps make up the Spanish Steps in Rome?

what do you love most about the place you live?

i will start, but not with the trivia ones, beacuse i want you guys to get them.

My favourite word is Santeria
my favourite book character is Calpurnia in To Kill a Mockingbird
I love how baltimore has its own accent. its own specific accent. Minnesotans say "Sooohw" New Yorkers say "Soweh" Ohioans i think say, "Soowh", Baltimorons have this wierd way of "sieouw" and "iggle" and "ahrkánsahs" and we love our "bawlmer". it sounds pretty sleazy, but its homey.

baltimoron:
well it seems i am up at two in the morning, just finished my summer reading report (they still make you do those even whe you are going to be a senior!!). Night is when my best ideas surface.

I picked up on this, and i decided to make it a bit different. seeing that the number of posts was minimal in the last day, i am going to make it Five questions instead of just one for more responses.

Just for fun, who knows what day it is on the Jewish calendar? Islamic? Buddhist? Who here can write the date in a number of languages?

i will start, but not with the trivia ones, beacuse i want you guys to get them.

My favourite word is Santeria
my favourite book character is Calpurnia in To Kill a Mockingbird
I love how baltimore has its own accent. its own specific accent. Minnesotans say "Sooohw" New Yorkers say "Soweh" Ohioans i think say, "Soowh", Baltimorons have this wierd way of "sieouw" and "iggle" and "ahrkánsahs" and we love our "bawlmer". it sounds pretty sleazy, but its homey.

Considering I'm also up :( I'll try some of your questions and then maybe add when my brain is working again :)

Favorite word: saudade
Favorite character: maybe Ishmael, in the book Ishmael
Favorite thing about the place I live in: it's close to the caribbean and some great diving :sharks:
I guess I can write the date in five languages.... did you want samples as well?
The Scalinata di Spagna has twelve flights of steps.

I'm off to bed now.....

Maria

I'm game for a game.....

baltimoron:
....snip....

Just for fun, who knows what day it is on the Jewish calendar?

I think the year is 5765. Month is probably Elul.

Year is 1425, Month is Sha'ban

Buddhist?

Year is 2547 Month depends on your latitude and longitude but could be Khao Phansa.

Who here can write the date in a number of languages?

I can

"Lovely". Like my wife and children.

There are so many to choose from. Roberto from "The Name of the Rose" springs to mind at this moment. Ask tomorrow for another answer.

Tough one. 12 flights of 12 steps? Something like that.

My wife and children.

R..

sharkdiver00:
Considering I'm also up :( I'll try some of your questions and then maybe add when my brain is working again :)

Favorite word: saudade
Favorite character: maybe Ishmael, in the book Ishmael
Favorite thing about the place I live in: it's close to the caribbean and some great diving :sharks:
I guess I can write the date in five languages.... did you want samples as well?
The Scalinata di Spagna has twelve flights of steps.

I'm off to bed now.....

Maria

Saudade? Ista è uma bela palavra. Você fala português?

Somente um poquinho, usado viver em Rio muitos, muitos anos há :) ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Saudade

e voce, fala bem?

Maria

Could you please translate this for me please. I am sure there are some of us who can't find the translator button here. Thank you.

Cobaltblue,
ooops sorry about it. If your comment was meant for the two postings... here you go:

Baltimoron: Saudade? Ista è uma bela palavra. Você fala português?

Saudage? this is a beautiful word. Do you speak portugues?

Me: Only a bit, I used to live in Rio many, many years ago....

Saudage: if you look it up in any dictionary, you will get homesickness as the translation. But it the use is more for a nostagia of a feeling, not a place.

Maria

ehhh não não.... mais or menos. eu estou aprendendo. Eu quero viajar a Rio um día. não sei quando... Foi na bahia e São Paulo, mais não foi em Rio... a minha favorita criança:

Olhe que coisa mias linda mais cheia de graça, è ela menina que vim que passa...... :wink:

Saudade is a portuguese word. it kind of like.... good things, nostalgia.

When I heard this word, i asked if she knew any portuguese. she has been in Rio a lot, so she speaks a litte. I replied by saying I am learning, but i am so so. I really want to visit Rio one day- i dont know when. I was in Bahia and São Paulo, but not rio. then I typed in a bit of one of my favourite song, A Beleza de Ipanima (or the Girl from Ipanema) by Carlo Jobim.

I really don't try to translate that much. Learning a language- you have to bring yourself to it by forgetting your mothertongue. You can't bring it to you and translate in your head.... it takes a lot longer. learn to think in that language, start by not thinking at all. learn to talk again. its easy at that. Thats why translating is hard, you switch from one way of thinking to another. Thinking in one language to another- a different mind.

oh- não compreendi que foi em Rio não como uma tourista.

eu disse-o que eu estou aprendendo!

Thank you both very very much. I am afraid I am not bilingual. I appreciate the translation.

Back
Top Bottom