Question: Why are 'low volume' masks better than 'high volume' masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Except that most very low volume masks, of the type for spearfishing, use very small glass areas and black skirts anyway. So you still only see what is in front of you.

Field of view is the third most important thing (after comfort and no leaking).

I generally use low volume black masks and I find I still have very good vision. There are a few freedive (rather than spearfishing masks (e.g., Cressi sub Minima model) that have poor visibility, but the other masks I use are all good.

In general, there is no reason not to use a low volume mask for scuba diving other than personal preference.

Another point for the low volume mask when using a rebreather - When clearing a mask, the gas used is coming from a much smaller tank and lossing to much gas is a bad bad thing. (very simplified, so leave me alone).

If you a geezer like me, you don't have to buy a second bifocal prescription for your Scuba and Freediving mask.

I have worn masks that are too big in currents and bought and tried far too many low volume masks that fit in the shop and leaked or hurt in the water. It it really a goldilocks kind of thing.

Those old tri-pane window masks that were like swimming around with a bay window attached to your face had both high volume and wide vision. The masks that comes closest to providing wide vision, low volume and streamlined fit with a very (nearly) universal fit is the Atomic Frameless in two sizes and the Scuba Pro Frameless.

I do not care about absolute dryness, I prefer close fit and wide vision, if I have to exhale a bit now and then to lear a bit of water, do not really care. That said, my Atomic Frameless is very dry.

N

LOW VOLUME masks are not, however, for everyone. For those of us that have a brow bone that forgot to evolve, we cannot wear low volume masks comfortably at all.

Mid Volume masks and FFM are then a better choice (both of which I prefer to use!)

Back
Top Bottom