Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmat1980

Reaction score
Ok...
This will probably sound stupid to everyone BUT
What do I need to go scuba diving in Maui??

Im just going on vacation and dont want to become a professional diver or anything so...

1. Do I need to be certified to go diving...If imnot, how far down can we go and can we go from a boat?

2. I see alot of 'shore dives'...are these for non-cert divers??

3. what the hell is snuba??

Most improtantly I want to know if i can go without a cert and how far down I can go...any info on places to dive in Maui is also appreciated,
thanks
J

jmat1980:
Ok...
This will probably sound stupid to everyone BUT
What do I need to go scuba diving in Maui??

Im just going on vacation and dont want to become a professional diver or anything so...

No one needs to do ANYTHING when visiting Maui, except arrive on the island and deplane.

jmat1980:
1. Do I need to be certified to go diving...If imnot, how far down can we go and can we go from a boat?

You need to have some sort of certification before diving. What type depends upon how serious you are, and if you value you life! :11:

There are two ways to dive, get certified, or get RESORT certified. Getting certified requires two days of class room and pool diving at a minimum IMO, and four OW dives. This generally runs $300 at LEAST.

One can also do a discover Scuba class, and get Resort certified. This can be much more risky depending upon the resport, and basically allows one to dive ONLY with an instructor, and ONLY while you are at the resport you have certified at. The cost of this is much less for the certification, but plan on spending about $50+ more per dive trip because you have to have a private guide to watch your behind for every dive. Once you leave the resort, you diving adventure is over, and you will have to get a full certification to dive again, or get another resort certification. IMO resort certifications are really not worth the $$$ unless you don't plan on diving in the future.

jmat1980:
2. I see alot of 'shore dives'...are these for non-cert divers??

No. If anything shore diving is more difficult as one has to be confident about the dive, and understand what one is doing. Navigation, tides, currents, surge, entry and exit procedures are all part of shore diving, and you better understand all that if you plan on doing shore diving. There is also the understand of local laws, and area's as one must use the proper markers required, and avoid boat traffic.

If you want to shore dive without a certification, the same rules apply. Resort certification, and then a paid instructor as a guide. Good Luck finding an instructor at a resort that is interested in doing shore dives, with a few exceptions.

jmat1980:
Most improtantly I want to know if i can go without a cert and how far down I can go...any info on places to dive in Maui is also appreciated,
thanks
J

How far down can you go? How far down do you want to go? I'd hope no more than 10 feet with the zero lack of understanding you have of diving, and even that is too far before you get a LOT more understanding :confined:

Your questions speak of ZERO understanding of diving, and the dangers involved. Diving is not an extremely dangerous sport IF one has a good understanding of a LOT of STUFF, and is comfortable underwater. The STUFF I reference is minor things like Dive Tables and DCS, ascent rates, safety stops, buoyancy control, navigation, dive planning, equipment expertise, buddy rescue procedures, buddy communication and planning, dive planning, buddy monitoring and rescue, and other things that go into being a good diver, and a good buddy.

IMO, if you are interested in diving, I'd strongly consider getting certified before diving. Even once certified reconginze you are a beginner, with very few of the skils that will be required to dive a lot of the conditions ones finds even in tropical locations. :07:

Most agencies such as PADI have a "discover scuba diving" program. It is not a certification, it is a guided "intro to diving" experience. In fact, most places here in Hawaii just refer to it as an "intro".

The max depth (at least for the PADI program) is 40 feet. Most good instructors will only take their intro group to the depth that seems appropriate for the group. I have had intro groups that were comfortable and easy to manage at 30-40 feet deep. I have also had intro groups that I would not feel comfortable AT ALL taking them below 10-15 feet deep. PADI limits the number of intros an instructor may take to four. Actually, four people who don't know what they are doing is quite a handful!! You can't imagine how much of a handful unless you are an instructor. But it is very satisfying to introduce people to the underwater world and the excitement of diving.

At my LDS, the session begins in the pool with the practice session. This may be followed by a shore dive or a boat trip.

Prices will vary greatly depending on the type of program offered. I would suggest exploring the websites of the dive centers in the area you will be visiting and see what they have to offer.

Please listen to your instructor.
Please follow your instructor.
Please follow your instructor.
Oh...and listen to your instructor.

HAVE FUN! It's awesome.

It was astonishing to me, when we went to Maui in August, to discover that 9 of the 12 people on the boat we went out on HAD NEVER HAD A REGULATOR IN THEIR MOUTHS BEFORE. They got a brief introduction to the equipment and jumped off the boat into Molokini crater. Amazingly, they all seemed to do fine.

However . . . if you think diving is something you want to do, even on just a vacation basis, take the time to get certified. I was only about ten dives past my open water cert when I went to Maui, and I can tell you that I had a WONDERFUL time diving there, and that I am absolutely sure it wouldn't have been half the experience if I hadn't taken the time to get instruction. Because of my class, I was comfortable in the water, familiar with my equipment and procedures, and could spend all my time sightseeing and soaking up the wonder which is clear, warm, tropical water and the creatures that live in it. Because my husband and I were certified, we went deeper and stayed down longer and saw more and had more fun. Plus, that same certification opens the door for trips to other places at other times . . . we have Australia, Maui again, the Caribbean and Indonesia planned within the next year. All of this is possible because of that certification. It becomes a pretty small investment to make with huge, and continuing returns.

Maui Dive Shop does the Intro to Scuba thing, and goes one step further (copied from their website).

"OPTIONS AND COSTS ARE BELOW:
NOTE: ACTIVITIES INCLUDE ALL NECESSARY EQUIPMENT

1 TANK, BEACH INTRODUCTORY DIVE: $79.95
2ND TANK REEF TOUR-SAME DAY $20.00

SNORKEL/TRY SCUBA DIVING COMBO: $99.00
Purchase this combo for one low price and snorkel Molokini/Turtletown or LaPerouse Bay one day and go on a 1-tank Try SCUBA dive another day for one low price.

1 TANK, CORAL GARDENS BOAT INTRODUCTORY DIVE: $99.95

2 TANK CUSTOM BEACH DIVE $75.00 ($95.00 private): This activity allows divers who have successfully completed the Try SCUBA Diving program with Maui Dive Shop to enjoy additional diving up to 2 weeks after completion of the introductory program.
CERTIFIED COMPANION DIVER-Beach, 1 tank $55.00
CERTIFIED COMPANION DIVER-2ND tank-same day $20.00"

Note: I am not recommending this shop or this type of diving. :11:

I cringe every time I hear "Resort Course". Please get certified.

thanx for the replies.

I had seen the intro dives on websites in Maui but wasnt sure if those were for beginners who already had their cert... I guess that is not the case and there is no cert required for the intro dives...

Thanks alot
jmat1980

jmat1980:
3. what the hell is snuba??

J

I don't think anyone answered this question for you. Snuba is a combination of snorkeling and SCUBA by which you dive using an air supply on the surface connected to a long reguator.

You can learn more at www.snuba.com

Forget snuba, its crap. If you seriously are trying to avoid the work of getting certified then I'd suggest doing a Discover Scuba with a respectable operator on Maui. You'll basically have a pro holding your hand and making sure you don't kill yourself, with minimal training (same day). On the other hand, a scuba certification is something you'll always have and doesn't cost too much more than doing a couple of discover scuba's or resort certifications (which are totally worthless in my opinion - you can only dive at the place you do it). Many people don't want to waste valuable time on their vacation reading books, etc., which is understandable. You can do an Open Water Referral, where you do all the classroom, book, and pool work where you live and then just do the fun stuff in the ocean on vacation, it usually ends up being about $100 bucks more than doing it all in one place, but with the exhorbitant prices in Hawaii (usually $350 or so for regular Open Water), you may get screwed a little.

Shore diving is for divers who are certified and comfortable going diving with friends rather than with a paid guide. You won't/shouldn't be doing any of this on this vacation.

FS

My wife did a "resort dive" years ago before we met and she knew anything about scuba diving. She had already had a few margaritas when she signed up and did her pool session. She laid off the drinks for the actual dive, but she did see several other people who hadn't laid off the drinks. This was in Mexico, not Maui, but I'm sure there are still operations out there that do this.

You can always get a "scuba diver" certification. This only has about half the requirements of the "open water" certification. You complete 3 quizzes and 3 confined water (pool) sessions and 2 open water dives. And then you actually get a cert card. The cert card allows you to dive with dive professionals. This course also ensures you get a little more information than the typical resort dive will give you. And if you decide you like scuba diving a lot, as you probably will, you can just finish up the last 2 quizzes, confined water sessions, and open water dives and you're certified to dive without a dive pro. Think about it. It is definitely worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom