Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our first trip up there the viz was excellent! More like Balmorhea than a lake. We've been planning to return next weekend...do you think it will clear up for us by then?? :eek:ut: If I wait a week and bring my new camera with me, do ya think that would do it?

I honestly don't think a week will result in much improved vis but that’s just my opinion. The algae bloom, rain, and student churn seems to have the Spring in a giant silt cloud. Catch22, FWNurseshark, and myself did two dives today and the vis was as bad as I’ve encountered at CSSP or anywhere for that fact. Our CSSP swamp was really swampy! On our second dive we had LESS THAN arms length vis in places. Catch was next to me and slightly out front with his arm extended running his compass and simply ran straight into the bottom and buried his hand past his wrist in the silt. Later we were headed north along the east wall from Cisco and I saw him reel back like he ran up on a charging shark. Instead he was faced with about a half dozen divers coming in the opposite direction. Ya had to bump heads with them to see them, quite a surprise when you weren’t expecting it.

Dee and the south swamp crew, I know you guys have plans to return next weekend and all I can say is flip the coin. Perhaps someone local here can make a weekday dive and report the conditions with a more current perspective. Otherwise, it looks like a swamp to me. You should be right at home.

Jim

well the cooler weather this week should help with the bloom, and if it doesn rain this week sat and sunday should be great, but the other ones is that if we get in before the students we have a much better chance at the good viz before they stir it up

SeaHunt once bubbled...
On our second dive we had LESS THAN arms length vis in places. Catch was next to me and slightly out front with his arm extended running his compass and simply ran straight into the bottom and buried his hand past his wrist in the silt.

Thats Ok... last sunday at TL there was a total silt out of basically half the lake due to some kids deciding it would be fun to make a mud slide......

When we came into the cloud i couldn't even read computer directly in front of my mask -- much less see dee or the beast...

...to mention. We found the coffin. Can't be specific about where it is because we were swimming blind for the most part but generally if you are standing on the north dock and face towards the north most platform...it's somewhere in that vicinity at about 40 ft. It’s wrapped in chains and sitting on some rocks near the drop-off.

Now to find that elusive gator; anybody out there actually seen that pesky swamp gator? If so how about a little clue to it’s whereabouts.

Earlier when I said the vis was bad I was refereeing to the areas around the attractions (and yes the wall dives are an attraction) and in the center and southern portion of the lake where all the instruction is occurring. The west bank of the lake where the vegetation is very prevalent and the bottom has a gentler slope to it is still “relatively” clear.

The bottom here is covered with a thick blanket of the green vegetation and the water tends not to muck up as much there. If you are willing to confine your diving to the shallower western side of the lake then you won’t be to disappointed. There are plenty of fish to be seen here from freshly hatched fry up to 10+ lb. bass and catfish cruising around.

Anyway, I figured I should mention this since it gives a better overall perspective of the conditions we experienced at CSSP yesterday.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom