Questionable Key Largo Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suzie q

Reaction score
I'll be diving Key Largo for the first time in a few weeks along with my local shop. The trip is arranged and paid for, but i have a few concerns.

We will be staying and diving with Amy Slate's Amoray Divers outfit. I've run across a few alarming remarks about Captain Slate, but soon realized this was her ex husband and should be avoided.

I continued to graze for reviews of Amoray, but havn't found anything too helpful. Some divers have complained that the Amoray staff run 'cattle' boats that dump inexperienced and incompetent divers over the already struggling reefs.

This is something im wrestling with in general as a new diver. i read everywhere that rec diving is significantly contributing to the degradation of marine habitats worldwide.

I really don't want to be a part of a group that could further endanger or harm this delicate ecosystem. i myself am a careful 'no touching' diver who has taken extra time and effort to perfect bouyancy.

i guess what i'm asking for is some encouragement that i won't be joining a group of carousing eco-tourists with less than eco-friendly behavior.

:confused:

With many of my posts I have always avocated that divers are responsible for their own behavior (and training). As with your less than perfect review of this particular dive operation, reasonable people will agree or disagree on the merits of this shop as well as any other operators in the Keys.

It is not the operator or boat that makes uncaring or poorly trained divers abuse a reef. The shop has no way of knowing ahead of time that a duly certified diver will perform the dive IAW standard protocol or completely trash the reef.

There are many "cattle" boats in the Keys and the law of averages catches up to these operations much faster than say a six pack operator. You have come to the right place to get GOOD advice and opinions on diving. Just be sure to weight all the advice before making your choice for a dive operator.

Here is the scoop!

1) They do run a cattle boat operation but for the most part know how to handle it. They are most busy on Friday PM - Saturday all day and - Sunday AM. The weekend crowd leaves (Drive downs from other cities) and Sunday PM and throught the week are not crowded.

2) The boat (See their web site) can fit 32 or so divers. If you are on a group of 6 to 16 there is plenty of room to spare.

3) They choose all dive sites based on the weather and currents.
You really have no say. Tuesday AM is a deep dive and Thursday PM is a night dive on the Bentwood. They generally do not dive the Bentwood during the day.

4) The on site room you get makes a big difference. You pay for what you get.

5) They don't pick the divers. Did they pick you to dive with them - of course not. Its not their fault if some people have crappy skills - neither is it any other group's fault that takes divers out.

Your post in that regard was totally out of line!

6) Captain Slade is an entirely different operation.

7) We dove with them for a week. Sunday morning was full 30+ divers (2 classes) the next largest day was 14 divers the other days were generally the same group of 8. With 8 divers on a boat this size it was a positive not a negative.

8) They need at least 4 to go out. If less than four they send you over to Aquanuts. Less than 100 yards to that operation.

9) Lighten up - - the trip will be good and all the keys diving - though shallow - is excellent.

suzie q once bubbled...
I continued to graze for reviews of Amoray, but havn't found anything too helpful. Some divers have complained that the Amoray staff run 'cattle' boats that dump inexperienced and incompetent divers over the already struggling reefs.

This is something im wrestling with in general as a new diver
Yes, they will dump inexperienced divers on the reef. Like you.

Amoray/Amy Slates doesn't put DMs into the water, so they don't really supervise the behavior of the divers that closely. They take the very appropriate attitude that "You are a certified diver, go do your dive".

My last trip with Amoray was Sept 11th, 2001. Their big catamaran is a bit slower than most boats, and it's such an unresponsive pig of a boat that I'd hate to be the Captain, but as a dive platform it is awesome. Much more stable than most boats while tied up at the mooring. Lots of room on the boat when I went out -- but that was with only a dozen or so divers on a 30+ passenger boat. The 41'/43' Corinthian catamarans are popular cattle boats and you will also find them at Looe Key Dive Resort and at The Strike Zone on Big Pine Key.

The rooms were a bit shabby. Clean, but definitely not a high end motel. Nice storage for gear. Things seem to be well organized and smoothly run.

As Deputy Dan advised, lighten up.

Enjoy your trip.

We dove and stayed with Amy Slate's in June. Found the staff in general to be rude. We tipped the dive staff, but in the end wish we hadn't. I have to admit that John Pennekamp was the best diving we did in the Keys, but we could have wished for a better experience with the dive operator. Our room at Amy Slate's left A LOT to be desired. Not sure what to expect from dive resorts as we haven't stayed with many, but it seemed unclean and overall moist (sheets felt wet on the bed). The worst part of the experience was the fact that the boat was 2 hours late! We were scheduled to dive around noon, but didn't leave until 2PM. So, if you choose to dive with them, may be best to do so in the AM if you are on a schedule.

As far as endangering the ecosystem, you must be a responsible diver yourself. If you see someone else acting irresponsibly on a dive, then call them on it. What else can we do? I'm not willing to forego such wonderful experiences for idiotic divers. It is good to be concerned, but don't let it stop you from diving!

Amy Slate does run a cattle boat. I have heard nothing good about her staff. They have one of the highest turnover rates in the Keys. She got her start off the money she got when divorcing Spencer Slate.....still uses his last name, even though she has remarried several times, hence.

Capt Spencer Slate is much loved in the Keys. He is the one responsible for seeing that the Speigel Grove came to the keys. He put tireless work into this project for over 7 years.

If you want some really terrific diving, come on down the road a tad to Quiescence. They only take 6 divers per boat. One of the best operators in the Keys.

Have a great trip and dive safely.

Try Paradise Charters. They put a guide in the water with you, which is especially nice for newer divers. They have some good hotel/dive packages. Call 800-921-5549 or check their website. Another nice op a few miles down the road is Bud 'n Mary's in Islamorada.

I think Amy Slate's is a fine operation. The accomodations are NOT the Ritz, but are you there for the fancy room service, or for the diving? They provided adequate clean rooms for a decent price. My only beef is that they took out the hot tub! :(
I will echo what others have said about divers being responsible for themselves. The DM's on our boat last time I was there (we went to see the Spiegel Grove sink, May of 2002), were all top-notch and professional, and were very mindful of the skills of all of the divers.
I was with a group of OW and AOW students that week, Key Largo diving is a perfect teaching environment.

I have stayed with them three times, and I will go to Amy Slate's again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom