Questionable Key Largo Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kingdiver once bubbled...
sure is alot of talk on this board about Key Largo! I hear it's too shallow and experiences a lot of over-diving.
No comment on the over-diving, but I'm curious about the "too shallow" comment.

Unless you are a diver with buoyancy control problems, or it is in an area with a lot of surge, I see no reason to avoid shallow dives. Generally there is more light and more life.

Is it some sort of ego thing? :confused:

I have to echo Saltwater Taffy on this one. Take a hop down the road to Quiessence. www.keylargodiving.com

I spent a week with them last summer and it was one of the more enjoyable dive trips I've taken. The staff is first rate. Their hotel package with the Bayside are excellent and the boats are NOT cattleboats. I detest cattleboats and avoid them if I can.

Rob and Paul run a top notch outfit amd they are one of the older ops in Key Largo. You won't be disapointed.

The Bayside is clean, oldish....but renovated. Very nice. Pool on the premises with a beach/wading area on the bay. Two restaurants on the premises, but unrelated.

I'd go back in a heartbeat. I've dived with them twice, last year and also back in '96. My brother has been diving with them since the early '80s. CONSISTENT operation, can't be beat.

Charlie99 once bubbled...

Unless you are a diver with buoyancy control problems, or it is in an area with a lot of surge, I see no reason to avoid shallow dives. Generally there is more light and more life.

Ego thing?? MAY---BEEEE....

Remember too that the Keys can be a destination for more than just a dive vacation. The dive sites up and down the Keys can be a varied as anywhere else. And as a bonus I have never had to deal with beggars and such like so many other Carribean locals. There is a lot to be said for still being in America- eat the food and drink the water. As far as shallow- the biggest impact is what it takes to get some dive boats in and out of the dock. It may seem like an operator can't follow a schedule but they can be very dependant on the tides. I made several dives earlier this year on Alligator reef that never exceeded 20 feet. It was diving an aquarium- I saw fish life I wouldn't have believed existed in Florida prior to the trip.

Charlie99 once bubbled...

Actually, I agree that it may be "too shallow". The reefs do tend to be rather surgey, often making it rather unpleasant for those of us with, er, delicate constitutions. :chuck:
I have done more barfing in Key Largo than anywhere else on earth. :D

Your going to the wrong places.

The Grove, Duanne, & Bibb all sit in 130+ fsw.
The Ocean side of most of the reefs extend out with channels that go to 100+ fsw.

Tell your dive operator to anchor at another bouy if they take you to the 25-40 bouys.

SueMermaid once bubbled...

Actually, I agree that it may be "too shallow". The reefs do tend to be rather surgey, often making it rather unpleasant for those of us with, er, delicate constitutions. :chuck:
I have done more barfing in Key Largo than anywhere else on earth. :D

Holy puke Batman!

We stayed with Amory aug 16/17. The rooms were not large but clean. Their were 3 in our party and we all dove. They have 2 boats on site. A large cat and a smaller rig that holds 6 divers.
The office staff were professional and worked hard to make our stay pleasant. They only dive we missed was due to an engine problem on one of our afternoons.

Warning !!! Steer clear of ADmiral dive Center
Warning !!! WARning !!

Thanks for the information and help. We recently returned from our trip to the keys and I wanted to thank everyone who make suggestions. We had a great time and good diving from Key Largo, Big Pine Key and Key West and the dive shops we worked with were all good with little exception. I would highly recommend that anyone who has not tried this area to do so. Thanks again.
Mike

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom