Questions about gear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eclipse_guy

Reaction score
I have never dove before and still looking for a class to take.
I am very sure this is something that I will love to do. So I don't really want to get anything that I will need to "upgrade" to something better later.

I also want to buy all my gear before I start
My questions are.
What gear will I need and what is a good brand/cost?
I only plan on diving in freash water and the swimming pool to start out with but will do some salt water diving as well in the future.
Is there any difference in gear for salt/freash water?
Also, where can I go to get all the basic info without posting a million posts!
Thanks
Kenneth

I'll take the last question first: You'll get a million posts! There's loads of gear and opinions to match

Believe me, I'd love to sell you tons of gear but it's really early in the game for you to
make big purchases. Find a course first, and at least make sure diving is for you.

In the mean time this is a good place to research gear:Scuba Diving Mag

The same gear used in fresh will work in salt water.

Good Luck!

Rap

Hi Kenneth, this is a pretty wide open question but I'll try to contribute a little bit.

There are about a million opinions about what gear is best. The following is my current gear configuration for recreational diving:

DUI CF200 drysuit if diving in cold water
Bare 7mm wetsuit if diving in moderate water
Bare 3mm wetsuit if diving in warm water
Halcyon backplate with 35 lb wing
(a clone of) Jetfins
Apeks ATX200 regulator
Sartek 10w HID cannister light

I also use a Zeagle Ranger BCD when I'm teaching (I don't like to put the Halcyon backplate/wing in the chlorinated pool).

About half my diving is in fresh water and half in salt. The only real difference to me is the amount of weight I put in my weight belt (salt water weighs more than fresh water).

By the way Welcome to SB! You might want to fill in your profile stuff so folks in your area can give tips on Dive Courses, equipment, buddies etc.

When I first got into this I was drooling over all the cool stuff I would be buying. Dive computers regulators. Something I figured out was to buy the stuff that has to fit you. Like BCDs and wetsuits. In training I used a jacket BCD but ended up buying a BP/W which is by far the best fit for me. That is of corse personel opinion. Good luck

The guys are right it's early to be thinking about the big gear. Hang around here and devour the gear forums. Becoming gear savy is more of a challenge than learning to dive to go slow.

Expect to pay $200. -$400 for a good open water diving class.
For Class you will be needing a mask & snorkel, booties and fins. Expect to pay between $200 - $300 for good durable scuba grade gear. Maybe a touch less if youe have a package deal often offered to students. As a new diver I suggest you buy these locally since fit is critical,

Once certified You will want to work towards a wetsuit, Regulator with an alternate second stage and instruments, a BC, gloves, weights and erhaps a belt and a cutting tool in case you or a buddy get entangled. Tanks can wait. These items of solid quality will probably run $1500. - $2000.

You can wait until you are a frequent diver before buying cylinders at $125. - $350 each.

If you have local saltwater that is where the best sights can be seen but feshwater has it's own charms. You will soon out grow the pool. Assuming comparable water temperatures the gear is the same. You will need 5-8 extra pounds of weight in the ocean since the denser water makes you more buoyant.

Read this forum, basic and most of the gear forums for now. If you have a question do a search. Many common questions repeat and over time you will see lots of stuff debated. In most cases there is not 1 answer to a question but may alternatives.

Read up and welcome,
Pete

eclipse_guy:
I have never dove before and still looking for a class to take.
I am very sure this is something that I will love to do. So I don't really want to get anything that I will need to "upgrade" to something better later.

I also want to buy all my gear before I start
My questions are.
What gear will I need and what is a good brand/cost?
I only plan on diving in freash water and the swimming pool to start out with but will do some salt water diving as well in the future.
Is there any difference in gear for salt/freash water?
Also, where can I go to get all the basic info without posting a million posts!
Thanks
Kenneth

Thanks guys!

There are so many different products out there with prices to match. I
do not plan on trying to buy everything at once.
But, I will buy a mask,fins etc... soon. I do plan to purchase everything that needs to be fitted booties etc...locally.
I did find a school near that offers a OW course. They want about 299.00 with all materials,equipment(not sure what equip they mean),manual and ceritification. It's a week long course. Also, there is a 1on1 course that I am really interested in for another 199.00.
Thanks
Kenneth

Kenneth the above is all good advise..............like Rap we'd love to sell you what you desire but its more important to be informed and get what you want.

You'll always welcome to call........we'll do our best to answer your questions.

Happy Diving

I agree with the idea of waiting to buy your gear until you have spent some time in the water. If you feel comfortable with your instructor, ask him for guidance and advice. I always try to buy local and support local dive stores to an extent, but, if the prices are out of whack I'll order on-line.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Sheriff Med..............we try. We on-line guys are not such a bad group. In fact if you try and order from our site the nine surrounding area codes automatically move the order to our local Dive Shop to support him. We share dive tours, and I feed him tons of students. A partnership with the local dive shop is critical. So those who like don't like, for some reason, the net shops.............we really aren't bad guys honest.

Happy Diving

Back
Top Bottom