Questions about land activities in Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Pulpo, when you return please post a trip report of Coiba. I'm booked with Scuba Coiba for a 3-day trip in August. Really looking forward to it.

I wil definitely post a trip report for Isla Coiba, Pedasi, and Santa Catalina. I've received a lot of great tips from the divers on the board here.

.Just spent the day in El Valle! Fabulous! Hiked..went to the Orchid nursery.. waterfalls.. zoo(wonderful) ..thermal pools( make sure you buy extra mud.).. and the local market. Headed to the beach on the way back! Awesome day one in Panama!

Thanks Allison. I just got a notification that the following msg didn't get to you since I replied to the email instead of through Scubaboar. We just finished two days (4 tanks) diving at Pedasi--Isla Iguana was better than Isla Frailes. At Frailes we had 75 degree water on the surface and a thermocline around 50' to 66 degrees. Brrrrr! Today at Isal Iguana we saw 6 white tip RS piled together under a small coral head, 8-10 free swimming large green morays, and huge schools of small jack and porkfish. One really great dive.
We arrived Thrusday evening, managed to find our way driving (against all recommendations) to Mediterranean Dreams B&B, and took a partial transit on the Pacific Queen today. Great trip, and we later enjoyed the view from Miraflores Visitor Center. The 10 minute 3D propaganda film was pathetic, but otherwise it was a great day. We were all very thankful that we took your recommendation and used taxis everywhere today. We have Sat. as a free day, then a Lago Gatun fishing trip Sunday. We drive to Pedasi on Monday and begin diving Tuesday.
Is it worth the effort to take a nature walk in Parque National Metropolitano? The park is very close to our B&B? The manager has never heard of it.

Hey here! Glad you had such great dives. You will for sure see the WTRSs at Coiba too... The thermoclines this time of years are pretty intense. I remember my husband and I saying you could bounce off them last year at Coiba. Let me know what dive op you used in Pedasi. That's and Pearl at the two places we haven't dove yet, so let me know if you would recommend who you used.

Not sure where the B&B is, or if you will have time when you head back to the city, but a walk in Met park is always worth it. We actually live between Miraflores and Met Park ....so we go there a good bit to walk after work. It's like being in the jungle AND near the city all at the same time. We have seen sloths, toucans, neques, and Blue-Crowed Momots there, and monkeys are also often seen. There are some pretty views of the city from the top of the look-out. Glad you are enjoying it here!

Glad to hear things are going well for you. Parque Metropolitano is fine, as long as you're not alone, you're there during daylight and you stay away from Corundu. Since you have a car, you might consider a hike in virgin jungle along Camino de las Cruces. It was built by the conquistadores in the 1500s ... carried Inca gold and silver to Portobelo ... and Henry Morgan's army of pirates to and from Panamá in 1671 ... and the 49ers on their way to and from the gold fields of California. Many of the river rocks placed there by the enslaved indians still pave the trail today. It's about 20 minutes outside the city. You can hike in (safely) for little over a mile. The rest of the way, you need a ranger due to constantly changing detours. About a mile in, you'll come to solid rock with grooved holes in the shape of small horseshoes. These are the tracks of 300 years of mules. There's also wildlife. On one hike, I saw a young Harpy Eagle. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll give you directions to the trailhead.

Just got back from diving Coiba. It was quite cold on most dives! The viz is not very good yet either. Had an awesome last dive at Wahoo Rock where we saw a small school of young adult African Pompanos, a frog fish, school of jacks, white tips, and a school of hundreds and hundreds of mobula rays! Had one of the BEST dive guides ever named Arthur Portman ! I will add more about him later but wanted to warn you about the cold temps! BRRR!

Coiba was all we expected. We stayed on the island for three nights--no a/c and very warm our last night. Although the bugs were not bad the first two days, the noseeums came at us in force on the third. Plenty of DEET saved the day. Our 1st two dives were pitiful, but the next 7 were awesome for big fish. On one dive we had a large (~10' manta) make five passes over our heads (very close) while we descended the mooring line. Later in the dive a slightly smaller one passed over us a few times. On our last dive at "Frijoles," at one time we had a huge aggregate of 10 wtr sharks, two huge amberjacks, and a school of large Bluefin trevallies and asst smaller jacks. Lots of big fish on every dive, but always a 66 degree thermocline at 55-60'. Vis was between 30-40' most of the time, but we did finish our last dive in a very localized red tide above 30' with almost zero vis. Most of the time I could stay just above the thermocline and dip into it to see anything down there. We did see a small (4") yellow frogfish at "Buffet." Since the only diving at Santa Catalina is at Coiba, at least 1 1/2 hour boat ride, we returned to Pedasi last night. Bobby, the owner, is really a friendly guy. The Pedasi Sports Club has very large, comfortable a/c rooms, a nice pool, and free breakfast of eggs, chorizo, potatoes, toast, OJ, coffee. Boatmen and divemaster (Cari) very professional and friendly. Pedasi is a nice, pristinely clean little town. Diving at Isla Iguana (only 1/2 hour away) is excellent (see my earlier post). I didn't mention many very large southern sting rays on every dive. Thanks to those who provided info. on the Met. Park. We'll try to take an evening walk there before our flight out. Strong winds here today--may not get out. Still hoping. Two more nights in Pedasi then off to El Valle. Cheers!

In Sta. Catalina did you stay overnight at the place that Herbie (Scuba Coiba) recommends?

Are you getting around by rental car? Who did you rent from? I have heard the roads can be difficult.

We pretty much have our August trip planned out. We plan to spend a day in El Valle after the Coiba dive trip. No time to dive in Pedasi, though.

I posted a trip report on our trip which Is titled Trip Report-- Panama.. Coiba National Park.. some of you were asking for one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom