questions about pro certs and gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, then... getting back to regulator recommendations: I have a whole lot of dives on my Aqualung Titan LX. I have it in every year to be checked out and has yet to need a rebuild, and that is close to 400 (mostly freshwater) dives. It was reasonably priced, serves me well in Wisconsin cold waters, even under the ice and I think it breathes nicely. The shop I help out at uses Titan regs because they are so hardy. There are occasional free-flows in cold water, but mine has never done so.

I use an Aeris computer and like it. I got a good deal at the shop I help out at and have no complaints about it. It is the Atmos pro, a hocky puck style and I can switch between console and wrist boot. I like it on the console when I dive dry because of the drysuit glove wrings making wrist use uncomfortable for me, but for warmer waters I like it on my wrist. It is not air integrated and perhaps at some point that is what I´ll evolve to. At any rate, I am happy with my reasonably priced dependable Titan LX reg and Aeris computer.

Oh, one thing about my reg. In cold water it produces a kind of moaning noise on inhale. I´ve talked to others with this reg and they claim to hear the same. I guess it is normal. This happens only when the water is in the 40´s fahrenheit range or lower.

SheriffMedic:
I agree with TekDiveGirl, you need the experience. Have you actually experienced an underwater entanglement? Have you ran out of air and had to do an emergency swimming ascent? There are so many different problematic scenarios that could present itself to you that you need to have the experience to teach your students how to handle them.

I have been a divemaster for about 10 years and have probably 400 or so logged dives. I am just now considering becoming an instructor, I feel I have the experience to be able to honestly tell students about real underwater emergencies and how to overcome them. Granted most people want to learn openwater diving but as an instructor you need to be able to teach dive/rescue, and be able to train a divemaster. I feel that once you enter into the divemaster program your eyes will be opened at just how important and what a huge responsibility an instructor has.

All of the instructors I know are PHENOMINAL divers, guys who have spent hundreds of hours under the water and are involved in many aspects of diving. Again, I don't want to seem negative, get some experience, blow some bubbles, train for emergencies and look into the Divemaster program.

I teach ACLS, PHTLS, BTLS, PEPP, PALS, and EVOC (all emergency medicine classes) and I am apprehensive about taking on the responsibilty of teaching scuba.
this is all very well said!!! and i also agree on it !! so i second this post, as a DM with 200 dives in two years all in cold water and most of ca coast, i would and do only assist-teach what i know, that being ca cold water diving!!

Perhaps a little realistic perspective is in order. If gonje3d makes it through the programs and receives the certifications; are you bubble bursters assuming he is unquestionably going to get hired as an extremely qualified instructor with vast experience in all types of conditions?

Nothing wrong with spending years acquiring dives or following a more conservative plan, but give youth, naivety and enthusiasm a break. Let the guy pursue a passion the way that appeals to him. So he’s got a lot of learning to do and experience to gain. What’s to say he can’t? There are people that are driven to acquire diverse experience and seek education from all things. Some people are like sponges, they absorb more than the inattentive. And there are benefits to learning from a clean fresh slate.

As for the equipment question: I feel better about how he thinks by stating his goals, needs and budget vs the folks I’ve read here that say I just got this on e-bay. Somebody here thinks it was recalled, d’ya think I otta use it?
I’d guestimate that with some luck and a lot of researching he can find a suitable used entry type computer and regulator. Plenty of people don’t keep stuff lying around when they upgrade or no longer play let alone LDS equipment upgrades.

gonje3, as an older person with more experience in general, I say don’t be afraid to look out of the box. Follow your dreams, enjoy the ride and don’t wait for opportunities to come knocking on your door.

redrover:
gonje3, as an older person with more experience in general, I say don’t be afraid to look out of the box. Follow your dreams, enjoy the ride and don’t wait for opportunities to come knocking on your door.

Well said

Alright, here´s a question. What exactly is so wrong with going for MD/I if you want to make a career out of something?? Not everybody has unlimited income to spend playing around in the water for years... and not everybody wants (or has any intention of having) a crappy desk job in order to do so... Whats wrong with making what you love - or what you think you love, your job?

Other posters have said that you shouldn´t instruct Scuba Diving in an area that you haven´t dove tons - so does that mean if your an instructor in Florida that you can´t (or shouldn´t) move to the Pacific or the Indian Ocean (or vise versa) and start teaching diving there without having lived and dove there for years? I just don´t get it...

That said, lets play a little little what-if scenario. Say Gonje3d goes ahead and gets his MD/I certs. Whats the chances that he´s going to get hired on as a super-qualified, super-experienced instructor?? I really dont´have a clue, but I´d seriuosly doubt it. Whats he going to get hired on as? An assistant instructor or possibly even just as a MD untill he gets some real-world experience... is that really all that horrible??

Taj,

If I may make an analogy . . .

I flew helicopters for the U.S. Army in Viet Nam.
The instructors who taught us how to fly had "been there and done that".
I would not have been comfortable with a fellow who simply had gone through the course of instruction attempting to prepare me to perform in a hostile environment.

Given scuba diving is not comparable to flying in combat, it is, nevertheless, a hostile environment.

Would you want someone who had just completed driving school and secured an operator's permit teaching you or your child to drive?

Experience is the greatest teacher of all.

the Kraken

Please think long and hard about becoming an Instructor to fast. I was a dive master for several years and worked HARD as a DM. The other instructors wanted me to become an instructor but I wanted to know I ws good before I did it. When I thought I was ready I did and I did not have any problems. EXPERIENCE is the best thing you can have. Study all types of gear. IN MY OPINION ANYONE WITH ANY EXPERIENCE SHOULD KNOW WHAT TYPE OF GEAR THEY WANT AND KNOW WHERE THEY WOULD GET IT.

The Kraken:
Taj,

If I may make an analogy . . .

I flew helicopters for the U.S. Army in Viet Nam.
The instructors who taught us how to fly had "been there and done that".
I would not have been comfortable with a fellow who simply had gone through the course of instruction attempting to prepare me to perform in a hostile environment.

Given scuba diving is not comparable to flying in combat, it is, nevertheless, a hostile environment.

Would you want someone who had just completed driving school and secured an operator's permit teaching you or your child to drive?

Experience is the greatest teacher of all.

the Kraken

LOVED your analogy! May I add that Experience is good only if it's valuable experience? And when so, it truly is the best teacher!

So, I’m sitting here, thumbing across different threads, trying to get caught up on my reading. Behaving as you all know I do, and low and behold I find this thread… Well, I understand exactly what people are saying about experience for this guy, and respect that. I’m no dream crusher either.

So let me start out by saying this… Hi My name is Vickie and I’m a PADI and SSI Instructor. I went to Pro Dive for my PADI IDC. What a wonderful experience I had there. All my Instructors were awesome. I went into the IDC program as a DM who worked extensively with a charter boat in Palm Beach logging well over 300 dive within a little over a year (do the math) for a total of around 450 dives within my entire certification period of about two years. I was experienced, and able to grasp just about everything I was learning fairly easily.
I’m here to tell you, being an Instructor is NOT easy, not even for someone like me whose not only taught many things throughout my life, but I also use to do a ton of public speaking (no stage fright from this chica). I worked in the medical profession for twelve years with extensive schooling (brain works on both sides..hehehe) so I’m appalled that someone would even lessen this profession by saying it is.

You can certainly go to Pro Dive and become an Instructor, no doubt. My personal feeling are that it’s too quick. Even with amazing Instructors like Richard Hartley there coaching you on, your still going to struggle with the diving aspect of your training. I can’t even begin to tell you the stuff I faced while I was there. The hardest thing for me was diving with a bunch of Instructor candidates acting as faux students for our skills. They couldn’t do the assigned problems right and created more than their fair share (worse then the average Palm Beach on vacation).

Is there a reason for your rush? Work as a DM for a while, do you have any idea how ahead of the game you’ll be. I understand your desire to have a cool job, but remember, with this sport you hold many of lives in your hand. It’s not like paintball (or like sports), if you screw up, you might kill someone.

Daniel….. I want you to know that I am sooooooo biting my tongue over here only because I love the SB almost as much as I love diving. You my friend need to do some soul searching and find out why your being so defensive about this subject. This person can be influenced by the things we say. As diving professionals, we have a duty to act as professionals, telling people this is soooooo easy is false information. I think we both know what’s really going on here and I would like to ask you (professional to professional) to please be careful what advice you give to an inexperienced diver (read posters profile 0-15 logged dives). I’d be more than happy to discuss this with you further in the Instructor to Instructor forum..

And for you gonje3d, if you want some help, send me a pm... We all have to start somewhere. I can put you in touch with some local charters down here. Best wishes

^^^^^ Excellent post, well said. +1

Gonje3d, I really don't think anyone wants to tell you not to pursue your passion. I think what the synopsis of this thread is that everyone wants you to take your time, smell the roses, and get a solid diving foundation.

Back
Top Bottom