Questions about Protea Banks diving, next year...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wade,

I think Dave was responding to SA-Diver, not you.

I recommend you and your family stay out of central Durban (in other words, the Central Business District). I don't go there with my family, unless I have to.

However, your wife and daughter can most certainly go shopping at some of our malls, such as the Pavilion (that's not a typio, by the way) in Westville or Gateway in Umhlanga Rocks. These are excellent malls by anyone's standards. (OK, they don't have indoor skiing ramps, so maybe not anyone's standards :wink: ). Also, the beachfront area has really been cleaned up and has a permanent police presence, as well as CCTV monitoring, so the petty crime has pretty much been eradicated. I take my family down to the beachfront regularly for a walk, glass of milkshake, whatever. This is the best recommendation I can give in terms of the safety of these places - I take my family there (and they are precious to me).

uShaka Marine World is also a must - IMO. This is a great day out, perfect if your dive is cancelled.

I really maintain that you should not have a problem. You seem to be aware of the risks involved with travel. The major problems occur when people walk around with the flashing neon "TOURIST" sign on their heads.

Cheers,

Andrew

PS: I am happy to help you with local orientation. If you would like some help, please drop me a PM. We might even be able to give some "mall assistance" :)

If you go to uShaka get a dive or snorkel in at Vetchies, alot of people dont like it but I have had some awesome dives there. Its literally just off the main beach

Hi there Code Monkey

The reason why they consider Protea Banks to be an challenging dive is due to a number of factors. You generally start off the dive with a negative decent straight off the duck (zodiac) and head straight for the bottom, usually at 30m+'s, to try get out of the main current. The current is usually quite strong and coupled with the depth doesn't make it great for novices. If you go round about this time of year, you should see the recognise the shapes of many grey nurse sharks (we call them raggies) on the way down and when cruising at the bottom with the current you should drift past a few at very close quarters. Depending on your luck, you should see 60+ of these sharks per dive. The rest of the dive is spent ascending slowly whilst drifting with the current over the reef. If you lucky you should encounter bull sharks (zambezi's) mid-water whilst drifting, sometimes they even hang around and circle the group during the safety stop.

Most operators do 2 dives a day, 1st launching about 8 - 8:30. If the dive group is small, they might even take spare tanks onboard and you will do your sit time on the boat out on water (not fun if you sea-sick prone!) otherwise they will head back to shore between dives.

I have had many dives cancelled at Protea Banks! Trust me, they cancel them for good reason,don't think cause the sun is shining they don't wanna get wet. The launch is tricky, and you don't want to be far offshore when a huge swell is rolling or bad weather is on the way.

I have only ever dived with African Odysea, so i can't comment on the other operators service. But their DM's are great, they'll point out sharks long before you'll see them and they run a good efficient operation. You can get nitrox fills from them and there gear is in well maintained condition. A 5mm suit will do and I sure they could rent you one. There are no ladders on the boats but getting in and out is not hard, just fin up in time with a swell and its not much effort. If i had to suggest anything to bring with you it would be a dive computer and a small safety sausage for each diver.

Hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom