Questions For Double Hose Regulator use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of great comments have already been made by some very experienced vintage divers. I would like to comment as someone who dives vintage, but is not from that era. If you have a little time and a copy of New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving or Basic Scuba, learning to do this is not hard. I spent a few hours in the pool doing the drills, learning to clear, and learning overhead don/doff. Diving a doublehose is probably in the top 3 of amazing things I have learned in the entire time I have been diving. It is the literature of the diving world, there is always more to learn as you peel back the layers, and something new is learned every time you revisit it.

Oh yeah, and to paraphrase Swimjim, that old crap will kill ya :D

Thanks a lot to everyone for their answers to my questions it is greatly appreciated, and for all the free advice. I just finished the rebuild tonight, and things look good after a dry run. I' ll do some practice dives and skills in confined water before heading out in the open ocean, make sure everything works and that i have some idea of what I' am doing and I should probably get a working J-valve at some point.

Once again thanks

Attachments

• HPIM2686.jpg
    HPIM2686.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 117
  • HPIM2687.jpg
    HPIM2687.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 111
Looks good.There is a guy on VDH that sells reproduction labels if you would like to dress up the reg a little. Do spend some time diving it in a safe place, I like diving them but they do dive differently than single hose regs. Make sure you understand how they react in different swimming positions, how to clear and how to purge them. If you can find someone who has experience diving them to go with you, so much the better. Welcome to vintage diving. Once you get it going, you should join us at Sand Dog VI in the Bahamas.

I would recommend you get a banjo adapter and a spg on that puppy for deeper dives and a new label from Faux Label Works.

N

I would recommend you get a banjo adapter and a spg on that puppy for deeper dives and a new label from Faux Label Works.

N

I was going to recommend the same thing, but he is also going to need a long yoke. That regulator looks like it has a short yoke.

I believe that there are some NOS long yokes available (at the moment) over at VDH. VDH does have nice reproduction banjo fittings for a SPG. He also has some nice hookah port adapters (provides a standard 3/8" LP) that can be used for any LP accessory and to access the intermediate pressure for adjustments and checking if the first stage is working properly.

Have fun

Speaking of labels, Dan at VSS advertises re painting the labels for $25. I'm inclined to go for this as opposed to getting a new one from faux labels. Unfortunately, when I removed mine one of the tabs broke. How are you guys attaching labels like this? It's got to happen all the time. I was thinking a drop of silicone cement. It should hold fine, and be removable if necessary. Some day I might even go for re-chroming.

Speaking of labels, Dan at VSS advertises re painting the labels for $25. I'm inclined to go for this as opposed to getting a new one from faux labels. Unfortunately, when I removed mine one of the tabs broke. How are you guys attaching labels like this? It's got to happen all the time. I was thinking a drop of silicone cement. It should hold fine, and be removable if necessary. Some day I might even go for re-chroming.

vhb tape works.

If he can repaint the label sounds good.

You do not have to bend the tabs up to 90 degrees to remove the label. Bend them carefully about 30 degrees and you can usually wiggle the label off without breaking the tabs.

N

Wetsuit 4 Life,

One thing that everyone missed is that you need to re-orient the mouthpiece of your DA Aquamaster. You are going to find that the mouthpiece puts a constant pressure on your mouth if you don't. Normally, when the regulator is sitting flat on the table like in your first photo, the mouthpiece should be pointed directly back at the case. If you orient it so that it is vertical, then the mouthpiece should balance on you index finger pointing horizontally about 4 inches above the regulator. Either way, you will see that the mouthpiece is not oriented to its most comfortable position. You should fix that before you get into the water, to make your first experience a good one.

SeaRat

If the hoses have seams, orient them so that the seam lines are in line with the seam on the mouthpiece side of the the mouthpiece, then place the seam on the same side of the hose on the other end of the hose at the 12 o'clock position on the intake and exhaust horns.

It works 95% of the time and if not perfect will be within 10 degrees of perfect.

To be truely vintage use a sundial for the hose orientation. Alternately, hang the SCUBA on your back, grip the mouthpiece, look straight ahead and have a second party manipulate the hoses at the regulator until the mouthpiece is comfortable. Request that person lift each hose as to simulate buoyancy. Apply marks on the hose ends and the regulator. Later, use the marks to clamp the hoses. Take notes, the hoses are mounted at different distances from the regulator face due to the design. This means that the left and right hoses may have slightly different orientations to feel right.

When figuring weighting of the belt, bear in mind that each hose has about 1 lb buoyancy. This may eliminate the need for ankle weights, if they are normally used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom