Questions from 3A.M.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2. How much air do people use diving, google seems to think we breath 7-8 litters per minute, does that number hold true under water? does the mammalian diving reflex come into play?
I once tested my air consumption on dry land by just sitting on chair doing nothing and breathing from a scuba tank and measuring time + how many bars consumed from the tank. that came close to something like 10 L per minute (dry land, sitting doing nothing) .
when diving a person should be more relaxed I think but one probably will be swimming slowly... I tend to consume something like 15 L per minute or a little more when diving in very shallow 1-2m water but that will surely change when gaining more scuba experience.
One should test one's air consumption when diving and compare that to the exercise levels of the dive and dive profile (depth changes + time) to see how much really is consumed if doing, for example, a 40min dive with certain depth profile.
And then compare it every now and then to the new results to see if there is improvement and how big the difference is. Better buoyancy control should improve this a lot for example

3. How long as anyone stayed under for, I don't see an obvious reason why we could stay under forever, provided we had air.

Wikipedia lists reduced lung function and osteonecrosis, although the latter is thought to be caused by DCI rather than living underwater per se.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom