Questions on ATX reg pricing and options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ibnygator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am getting ready to purchase an ATX50/ATX40 octo/DS4 (without the swivel) reg setup. Quoted price with long hose and necklace hose setup is around $900. Any opinions on the pricing?

Also, any opinions on going with or without the swivel on the 1st stage?

Finally, I'm trying to decide DIN or yoke. There are options, I could buy DIN and pay $75 for a DIN to yoke adapter or pay $120 for a kit to change the regs from DIN to yoke if required when I am traveling.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Bill

That price is... how do we say.... astonishing. I wouldn't pay more than, say, $500 for that setup. DiveInn will do it for $438.

The swivel isn't necessary, so stick with the DS4.

As for DIN/yoke, what are you using the DIN valves for? Are they convertible (ie, can you install a DIN to yoke plug in the valve and just use a yoke first stage all the time?) The DIN part of the reg actually screws off and you can replace it with the yoke part instead.. this part runs about $50-$60 depending on where you get it. If you only switch a couple times a year that's probably the way to go.

That price is... how do we say.... astonishing
That's an understatement to the max, maybe we're talking about a non-US currency, like Hong Kong dollars, which would be a little over $500 USD.
The pricing seems to be about double what it should be, even higher than full retail.

I just looked at DiveInn (didn't know about them) and they show $412 for the same setup, without the long hose. I don't mind paying a bit more to support the LDS but, geez! Thanks for the tip jonnythan..

I currently dive all yoke and was considering changing to DIN while I am buying new regs. My understanding is that DIN is a better design. No reason for switching other than that.

Bill

jonnythan:
That price is... how do we say.... astonishing. I wouldn't pay more than, say, $500 for that setup. DiveInn will do it for $438.

The swivel isn't necessary, so stick with the DS4.

As for DIN/yoke, what are you using the DIN valves for? Are they convertible (ie, can you install a DIN to yoke plug in the valve and just use a yoke first stage all the time?) The DIN part of the reg actually screws off and you can replace it with the yoke part instead.. this part runs about $50-$60 depending on where you get it. If you only switch a couple times a year that's probably the way to go.

I'm near Binghamton. I try to get up and dive in the St. Lawrence as much as possible, usually 3 to 5 times each summer. I dive with the Cannucks as they have more dive ops on the river.

jonnythan:
Hey, whereabouts are you in upstate NY?

I am getting ready to purchase an ATX50/ATX40 octo/DS4 (without the swivel) reg setup. Quoted price with long hose and necklace hose setup is around $900. Any opinions on the pricing?

Yeah: YOIKES! Too much, way too much.​

Also, any opinions on going with or without the swivel on the 1st stage?

Oh, cripes, here we go again...the DS4 can be a little hard to route in some configurations, hence the DST swivel version. The swivel can blow out, hence the non-swivel DS4 version. The mulberry bushes must be in bloom, again. :wink:

Finally, I'm trying to decide DIN or yoke. There are options, I could buy DIN and pay $75 for a DIN to yoke adapter or pay $120 for a kit to change the regs from DIN to yoke if required when I am traveling.

What kind of valves are you going to be using? Unless you're planning on some level of technical diving and own your tanks, you'll probably be happier with yoke connections - they're nearly ubiquitous. Whatever you do, don't plan on converting the regulator from yoke to DIN regularly - it's hard on the brass body. Better to use an adapter. $75 is too much for the yoke adapter by a little, $120 for the conversion kit is way too much.​

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

You need a new vendor.​

OK, I got the message. The prices I was quoted are way out of line. I'll be back there later today to see if I misunderstood something. Sorry if the swivel thing has been discussed to death already, I was looking for quick input and didn't have time to do thread searches.

As for the question of DIN vs. yoke, I do tend to push the limits of recreational diving as far as depth (some dives to 130'-145') and have a friend who suggested converting to DIN as a more bullet-proof design. Still, most of my diving is in the 80-110' and my tanks are currently yoke, so I'm leaning towards staying with yoke.

Looks like I'll be buying from DiveInn.

Thanks for the input...

Check out Barry Millers site he has some really nice prices on the Apeks and for the DIY folks theres interesting products to maintain your reg in a properly fashion !
http://salvodiving.com

Where do you get your regs serviced after buying them from an online dealer, particularly one say, in Europe, if you are in the U.S.? And how much does that run you each year?
Any authorized dealer should be willing to fix your regulator - but if you rub your nose in the fact that you bought it online you might expect someone to do something disgusting to the insides of it before they return it to you.

You're going to pay for labor, with or without a warranty. How much seems to vary considerably - say $40 to $75 for a 1st, primary and alternate. Without a warranty, you'll be expected to pay for parts, again, prices vary a lot but something like $50 to $75 more for the same three pieces.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom