Questions on "Land Based" diving in the Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nivek Llekots

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

I'm planning a trip to the Galapagos either later this year or early 2012. As my wife is a non diver I want to do "Land Based" diving but I'm having trouble getting good information of which dive operator to use and where to stay.

Can anyone give me some recommendations based on personal experience regarding:

- Dive Operators?
- Accommodation?
- Shore based activities?
- "Must Do" dive sites?
- Any websites that give more information on "Land Based" diving in the Galapagos?

I'm currently working as a DM in Curacao with more than 1000 dives under my belt, so issues regarding experience etc. should not be a problem.

Thanks in advance!!

"Should not be a problem" but if all your 1,000 dives are in Curacao and similar, remember that the water can be much colder than the Caribbean, visibility limited, and often challenging currents and surface conditions.

There's a lot of info on the board regarding land-based diving. Start by checking out RoatanMan's posts on the subject, he has plenty of experience with land-based options. Also understand that Galapagos diving is very dynamic due to continual government reworking of the regulations that govern diving. What might be a great site to dive with a particular operator one year, might be off-limits another, or that operator might be restricted to other sites, etc.

The dive op I remember most on my two visits to Puerto Ayora, probably because they had the biggest sign or whatever, is Scuba Iguana. They have a website with info on dive sites. I don't have any personal experience with land-based diving there, but don't recall any negative reports about Scuba Iguana and would probably sign up do dive with them if I were immediately transported to the islands with no time available to do any more research. That said, there may be better options for you, so do some basic searching and post what you find and maybe someone with experience will comment. (Sorry to make such a non-informative post, but I hate to see new threads linger with zero response.)

I would second Scuba Iguana as a land based operator from Santa Cruz. Now, land based operators can only dive the island they're on and that island's sites. At least through Jan 31, 2012, Scuba Iguana can also dive Floreana. From San Cristobal, for now there are only 2 operators with proper permits and only 1 with a boat. There is no professional operation to dive with on Isabela. You'll be lucky to get a briefing in English and they only want to dive Isla Tortuga, the least interesting of the few sites there are to dive from Isabela, well land-based anyway.

Hotel accommodation run the gamut. I have lots listed by price bracket on my website under Galapagos Hotels. You could use the land based programs section as a guideline for sites to dive and recommended topside activities, too. Dive The Galapagos Islands

I second (third?) the motion of Scuba Iguana. I went out a few months ago with them and there were no problems with gear, our guide spoke english, and our lunch was filling! If you do have the experience oulined above by Mossman and feel comfortable with some crazy currents (sometimes),
then my "would see" dive site would be Gordon Rocks: great place for hammerheads on a lucky day! Runner up: North Seymour for white tip cleaning station .

Definitely your best bet for things to do on land for your wife while you are off with the hammerheads is from Santa Cruz. She´ll be able to do some day trips to other islands, go to Tortuga Bay Beach, visit lava tunnels, snorkel, hike, see the giant tortoises in the wild or at the Charles Darwin Research station, enjoy a capuccino on the water front, cliff jump at Las Grietas, go surfing or kayaking, bike, walk, shop..........

I add a "fourth"- I loved Santa Cruz and Scuba Iguana.

Thank you Greg for the resounding reference to my previous posts and experiences, but I defer to the two posters as above.

Caveat: In terms of ScubaIguana lunch? Trade the lunch that they will prepare for you for the one that they make up for the dive guides. Do not ask in advance for their version of lunch- they will eagerly want to trade instead for your prepared deli-meats and such- you'll savor what they "got stuck with" :crafty:

Thanks for the feedback guy's. I think it's going to be Scuba Iguana, and I'll be going in February 2012!!!

Now how do I find the best flight from Curacao (Hato) to Quito, any ideas?

Thanks again.

KLM run direct flights from Bonaire to Quito, that's easily your best bet:

KL0753
Bonaire (Flamingo International) — Quito (Mariscal Sucre Airport)
Departure:04:30Arrival:08:10Duration:04:40Airline:KLMFlights:KL0753Aircraft type:Boeing (Douglas) MD-11 PassengerTravel classes:Flight distance:2313 Kilometers / 1437 MilesView seatplanInflight entertainment
Stop in Guayaquil (Jose Joaquin de Olmedo International Airport) - 01 hours 00 minutes

Unfortunately the Bonaire > Quito flight stops in October 2011, as KLM will do direct flight from Amsterdam to Quito.

So it looks like I'll have to go via Bogota!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom