Questions regarding Oceaner drysuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

I have been contemplating purchasing a drysuit for some time as I find myself loosing my enthusiasm for diving the PNW in my wetsuit. I stopped by a shop in Seattle to look at what they had to offer. I was a bit suprised to find that all of thier drysuits were neoprene and primarily made by Oceaner. spoke at length with the couple running the shop. Very nice folks whe were happy to answer my questions.

They made a good case for neoprene vs. shell suits. Also, they offer a drysuit class using the Oceaner drysuits from thier rental stock. Sounds like a good oportunity to test drive a neoprene drysuit.

My questions to you:

What do you think of neoprene seals vs. latex seals.

Any input on Oceaner specifically? I have heard that they had a glue problem with a batch of suits last year and were proactive in resolving it???

Thoughts on compressed neprene vs regular?

Neoprene in more moderate water temps (60's)

Thank you all for your input.

Steve

I prefer neoprene seals as I personally find them more comfortable, there will be plenty of people who say the complete opposite!
Neoprene will be harder and thus more expensive to replace when the time comes but for my money they are more durable and can sustain a certain amount of damage and still provide an effective seal. Put your finger through a latex seal and its goodnight Irene.
Neoprene are a bit harder to put on but I still prefer the (personal) comfort and durability.
Dont know the brand so cant comment.
Compressed is better from a weighting perspective as the changes in bouyancy at depth are less pronounced. Compressed neoprene does not insulate as well so far as I am aware so more thought will be needed with undergarments. Compared to membrane/trilam suits though its still warmer.
I have owned and dived both types of suit, generally in water between 5 and 20 degrees C. Personal preference will always be for neoprene.

My advice? try it on, if it fits, keeps you dry and you can afford it then its a good suit.

I don't have experience with Oceaner's drysuits but I have purchased 2 custom wetsuits from them. I haven't had any serious problems with either suit (I've yet to actively wear the 5mm so it doesn't really count, I guess) but when I got a hole in the 3mm, they supplied me with some sort of neoprene iron-on material that worked great.

I've found their customer service to be extremely good. Quick to answer the phone and happy to help problem solve if necessary. (This was a few years ago but I doubt things have changed.)

My advice? try it on, if it fits, keeps you dry and you can afford it then its a good suit.

Sounds like sage advice.

Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards the compressed neoprene suit. I have pretty well decided that I am going to come back to Seattle for the drysuit class both for the instruction and the oportunity to try out the Oceaner suit.

I am happy to hear good about Oceaner's customer service. I would love to hear from anyone who has experience with thier drysuits as well.

Thanks again for the input.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom