Quick instructions for the Epic Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flaucher

Registered
Reaction score
Just received my set of Epics from the retailer - but they did not send any type of manual. Was in the water today with my dive instructor but he was not totally sure what the lever did as opposed to the knob. Any hands one ideas?
The knob seems to control the cracking pressure but I messed with it too much and started free flowing until I backed off. So I guess I know what that one does.
The lever has a graphic for greater and less - not sure what it does - venturi control maybe.

Thanks
Gary

Welcome to the board.

A quick web search turned up this:
The Edge Epic second stage is a fully balanced design that provides the diver with comfort and easily adjustable air flow. The Epic second stage has a completely diver selectable venturi adjustment and a diver adjustment handle to provide the diver with complete control over the regulator opening effort.
This indicates there are 2 controls on the reg, a venturi assist and a cracking pressure control. The venturi assist will be a lever of some sort, usually labeled with +/- or min/max. The cracking pressure is the knob on the side that rotates. SO, how to adjust them. To some extent it is divers choice and the best advice is to play with them and see what you like but in general, I like to set the venturi assist to min any time the reg is not in my mouth, this prevents violent freeflow and yes the reg should freeflow it the VA is set to max and the purge button is pressed or you drop it in the water, esp if the cracking pressure knob is set loose as well. I set it to max during the dive. If the regs seems to be force feeding you air when you breath, back off of the setting some. On gentle breaths you really should not notice much effect but really inhale hard, the venturi will be very evident. The cracking pressure I set a variety of ways depending on the dive and what the reg is doing at the time. When not in use- not pressurized, I release it fully to relieve pressure on the seats and springs. When I pressurize the reg I set it mid range (unless it's an octo, in which case cracking pressure is set to max and venturi to min) and then adjust while diving as I like, usually just shy of a gentle freeflow but again, it's really what you like.

Last edited:
I'm sure Chris will correct me if I'm wrong.

Lever should be all the way to the + when you're using it and all the way to the - when not in use or pre-dive. Helps to stop freeflows.

The lever and adjustment knob combo is not exactly new technology, these same adjusters are on many different brand regs, doesn't seem right to me that an instructor wouldn't know how they work are at least what they do!

You're spot on with the knob, it is to control the cracking pressure!

Good luck with them!

Thanks Guys - about to get wet in a couple hours and will now be able to limit the obvious new guy with new equipment odor :)

be nice.

Keep in mind that not every instructor has tried a variety of regs or works in a shop to know about them all.

The guys nailed it. The manual missing is not teh shops fault, it's mine. I apoligize.

Best,

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom