Quick Maui review- pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve:

What you're missing here is that this is a pretty blatant violation (perhaps on your part, perhaps on the part of the DM / dive op, perhaps both) of widely accepted safe diving practices for recreational divers. I'm really very sorry that you don't see that others before you with a great deal more experience developed these "rules" for a multitude of reasons. You'll note that while Doug does a good job of rationally explaining a few things, he isn't advocating or making excuses for this occurrence, either.

Right now, North American diving has a great deal of leeway since it is self-regulated. That is, there is no law requiring you to be certified to go diving. There is no law restricting a divers experience to skill / certification level. There are only industry best-practices. The risk situations like yours cause is that of "what if..." -- if you had not been so lucky and an incident occurred here, it's quite possible that it would have become a government-flunky's pet project to regulate scuba diving.

If we had been lucky, it would have been only around the Molokini MLCD. That, however, likely would have meant either the generally accepted standard of AOW (or similar, recent experience) and sufficient drift and deep training to qualify to dive the Backwall, or perhaps even a higher standard. There would be no leeway for the dive op to say "I think this guy can do it." This would close out the experience to many divers who, while capable, haven't sought the further training. Penalties would have been put in place, likely including potential jail time for blatant violations (I'm only comparing this to some of the dive flag law stuff, where jail is possible for repeat offenders).

If we're not so lucky, it would be a Federal flunky, and there would be laws enacted covering the entire country as to diving experience and practices.

What do you think such regulation would do for dive prices? Do you think you could still afford to go diving if the charters doubled in price due to further reporting and verification procedures?

What do you think would happen to the small operator that relies on a maximum of six divers per day to pay for his boat, fuel, crew, etc.?

This is why I've become so heated here. There are a few individuals endorsing, advocating and encouraging these activities without regard for the consequences.

I'm going to put this even more bluntly than I already have. Do the diving world a favour. If you want to risk your life unnecessarily, purchase a revolver and play a game of Russian Roulette. At least that way, the only people you'll affect are your loved ones.

Lets put this thread in a nice little box...throw some dirt one it...and take what good we can and otherwise LET IT REST IN PEACE!!!

Here's to more diving and less computing!

Just returned from a cruise ship tour around the Islands in early October during which we took in a two-tank with John and Emi. I would guess they took to heart and have addressed the caution issues related above as Emi decided when we arrived at Molokini to take no chances with a current on the backside so that we did both of our dives in the crater.
I can hardly recommend Dive and Sea highly enough as Capt. Johno's service was absolutely great, Emi carefully went over the dive plan for each of the dives with the five of us diving and then was attentive and watchful under water. A nice, relaxed, leasurely pair of dives, max depth was 78 and 71, respectively. Over an hour of surface interval during which Emi was very outgoing and entertained with animated tales and stories of their experiences. And an unexpected, big, post-dive sub sandwich and chips to share. Very hospitable.
My only regret was that we weren't on Maui long enough to dive with them again.
The crater had an interesting topography, much typical Hawaiian Islands hard coral spread over layer after layer of shelves and rock outcrops and smaller creatures at every turn. Highlights were the vis -- 100 ft plus -- Hawaiian garden eels appearing and disappearing out of the sand, a wide variety of butterfly fish including a few endemics, morays of several stripes and spots and the appearance of some jacks which sent every body else into hiding. Didn't see get to see the monk seals.
BTW ScubaAndDreams, that boat was custom designed and special ordered from an Oregon company that normally builds them for Alaskan use. John and Emi said they did it because it was much lighter than a fiberglass one. They arrived at the ramp for our dive with a (relatively) small dually pickup and said their normal, smaller truck was in the repair shop.

What DonWinchester described has been my experience with Dive and Sea Maui on every trip I have taken with them, from my first trip on the Sundance II in February 2005 through to my most recent trip to Maui back in late-June, early July of this year (this time on the Sundance III, which is one great dive boat!). John and Emi run a class operation, and safety always has been number 1. The controversial aspect of the original posting (that has generated so much discussion here) is not something I have EVER experienced with them. I have no problem recommending them to people -- especially to folks like me who don't mind a bit of a sleep-in before a morning of diving. (Personally, I love the 7:30 am check-in!)

Peace,
Dave

These recent accounts sound more like the Dive & Sea that I know.

As I suspected, this probably had more to do with the diver than the operator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom