Quick summary on Hong Kong Dive Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ksporry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm sure there's more info on HK dive shops on the forum, but thought I'd chip in anyways, just in case...
So I went to HK, and managed to visit 6 dive shops in a span of 3 days, without looking for them (i.e. I was in the neighbourhood or found them because I was there...)
To list them:
1) Chinese divers: Located on Dundas Street in Mongkok. I think between Sai Yeung Choi street and Tung Choi Street. Happen to spot the signs hanging down above the walkway. Small shop, in fact tiny, but has a LOT of stock. Pretty amazing for such a small place actually.
2) Oceanskydivers: Located on the middle of Lock Road (nr 19), close to the Tsim sha Tsui station. Fairly big shop. Looked tidy and organised. Had a wide range of stuff. There was a small swim shop next to them with rashies. Looked nice but seemed to be focused on youngsters. Bought a divesystem key travel BCD (without backpack) on discount.
3) DIving express: Located on 19 hangkow road, very close to ocean sky divers. small shop, but well stocked.
4) Prodive: on hong kong island, 127 lockhart road, close to wan chai station. Large store, and very well stocked. Kinda liked them most as a shop
5) forgot the name: Saw the adverts on the street, so thought I'd have a look. Turned out to be a tiny booth with some rashies and swim suits. Not worth visiting, so you don't miss anything by my forgetfulness...
6) Diving Adventure: located on 439 hennessy road. near causeway bay station. Again a fairly large shop with plenty stock.

All of them speak very well english (then again, I spend 3 years in Shanghai so my standards may have lowered a bit). All had a very relaxed attitude and never pushy for sales. I felt like back in Holland! Basically they let you look around a bit for a minute of 3-5, then ask you if they can help you with anything, and if you decline they leave you alone, but are quite prompt to help you if you do have questions. They are never pushy and never give you an impression they want to sell stuff to you. I actually enjoyed shopping at all of them (except nr 5, but thats because i spotted in 3 seconds it wasn't worth venturing near.). I liked prodive the most as a shop, but seemed higher priced.
I asked most of them for teh price of a suunto transmitter and it ranged from 2500 to 3000 HKD. Prodive was the most expensive one, though I didn't haggle. diving adventure was the cheapest at 2500 HKD, but they might have got it wrong. When i bought my divesystem BCD at oceanskydivers they charged me 2800. I managed to get 100 of the transmitter after some minor haggling because I also bought a BCD. When I mentioned the 2500 at the other place they said I could buy it there if I wanted but they suggested that's a mistake as they said the distributor sells them for 2600.
The BCD I got for 4000 HKD (originally 6+k HKD down to 4200, and finally for 4000). I actually didn't know the brand, but it seems to be similar to halcyon. Since the cheapest Mares BCDs in SHanghai kost 4000 RMB, I thought 4000HKD was not a bad deal. As a note, the seller didn't give me the impression he knew more than me about BCDs (other than what he had, what sizes they come in, and what features they have), so he could not really explain pros and cons for different BCD designs. Mind you, that could have been a language barrier as his english seemed to be a bit rusty.

Anyways, hope this is of help to others!

There is ONLY one rule:
Haggle!!!!
Never ever pay the listed price as there is always 2nd if not 3rd price!!!
20-30% off is NORMAL and 40% is NOT unheard off.

Hi
If I may add, paraphrasing Central, don't buy in HK...too expensive :)
Jale

Well, if you think HK is expensive, try Shanghai!!! IF you can get it in mainland china (a very big if), you pay about 30-50% more...
I bought my regulator on Boracay. By sheer chance they had exactly the one I wanted, plus they gave me a seriously good price :)
But hey, if you know an outfit that delivers to Shanghai and has better prices than HK, then by all means I'd love to know about it :)

Hi
You are right to say that everything is relative and the main point is that you are happy with your purchase
If I may say, next time you plan to go to HK, have your international shopping sent to an address in HK and you will save money :)
Cheers
Jale

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom