Quickie Coz Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocVikingo

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
Within two hours of arrival, I found myself around the east side of the island at 140' on El Islote, cruising those pristine coral fields that always make me feel like I'm the first diver to behold them. Oracio spotted a very rare harlequin pipefish, beautifully camouflaged & tucked away in a little crevice. How in the world do Coz DMs see these things?

The trip over to these sometimes rough east side waters was swift & smooth on a reconditioned boat previously owned by Aldora. Twin Yamaha 150s make short work of rides between even such distant sites as El Islote & Barracuda, and in fact we dove them both on the same day.

On Sat, with all necessary "honoraria" paid, the spanking new Pressed Steel LP 120s were finally released from customs (still to arrive are Pressed Steel LP 95s & AL 100s). To celebrate, they were immediately pumped up to ~2,800PSI (around 150CF of gas) and we dropped in at the far southern end of Palancar Reef, surfacing at the far northern end 2 1/2 hours later, having covered the Bricks, Caves, Horseshoe & Gardens. The entire structure. This was a dive whose recollection will bring me pleasure for many years to come. Oracio broke his previous record of 2 hs-38 min with a bottom time of 2 hrs-45 min, and even at that I suspect he may have had some air left.

As well as the aforementioned pipefish, life list additions included a couple of juvenile spotted puffers. Resembling small gumballs, their nearly invisible fins scoot them about like bumper cars. Talk about cute.

Also, must mention pods of playful dolphin on two days, one numbering at least 15 members. What a treat.

Memorable meals were the seafood combination fra diavolo over home-made linguini (it'sa speeecy meat boll) at Prima & all you can eat lobster the night Mercedes, the housekeeper at the Casa, obtained 19 small tails. My dive buddy Jonathan did a great job of cooking, and in the process learned that Mexican corn-on-the-cob is best left to the cattle & popcorn producers.

Water temps 81 plus/minus a degree, vis 80'-140', surface conditions calm (well, on el otro lado that's a relative term), warm & mostly sunny but not hot & humid.

In my book, Coz remains a superb dive venue, convenient & a good value despite hordes of lemming-like, cruise ship pod people.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

sounds like a great trip..

you're the only other person I have seen on this board mention Aldora Divers. I thought no one knew about them or something...
I've used them on both my trips to Coz and loved every dive. I just wondered why no one else ever used them... it's not like there are hundreds to choose from or anything....

Glad you had a great time..

Todd

Doc...Iguana Don would love your lizard skin wetsuit!!! glad you had another great trip.

Hi Todd,

I was a big Aldora fan, but it has somewhat fallen from leader of the pack status. They had a nasty & poorly handled rusty tank situation a couple of years ago, let the boats deteriorate & one actually sank, and lost some star players, like Daniel, Oracio, Jorge Martin & manager Jorge Marin. Also, 2 tank AM dive is now $79, plus $10-$15 more if you want nitrox--pretty steep.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Hi Davida,

Thank you.

Yes, the suit was a big hit & I think it may have even attracted some fish.

BTW, I stopped by to see Holly and she seems quite well.

Hope you're headed back soon.

DocVikingo

Doc,

Tell a little more about the Palancar run. 2.5 hours UW is a long time. What is your avg depth and deco obligations. I figure your doing it on nitrox. It sounds like a cool run. More details please.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Immediately dropped to 85', then gradually ascended to between 15'-25' for remainder of dive. Pushed NDL, but no deco obligations. Dove air.

What a fun trip.

DocVikingo

Doc,
Nice report. I'll be there in 12 weeks. I always say Cozumel is the "Downtown reef". The rest are the suburbs. Always nice to go to the burbs, but everyone wants to go downtown.
PS Selling cruises has paid my bills for the last 12 years.
:sunny:

Doc,

My last trip to Coz. and Aldora Divers I happen to be on the boat with a couple from Co. (Jack and Lulie (?sp)) who happened to be on the ill-fated vessel when it sank. They had gone to one of the sites far to the south and a big ground swell (or at least that's what my grandfather always called them) "a large long wavelength wave from far away"
came over the stern of the boat and down she went. Aldora replaced all their lost gear and they said they would never dive with anyone except Aldora.

I had heard that Jorge' (I didn't know there were more than one ) had left. He was my AOW instructor last year. According to my c-card - Jorge' M. Rodriguez Miramon - I'm one of the few divers who has to have 2 cards just to fit the instructor's name on.

Any way, I have always had great dives with them , but must admit I've never tried anyone else while in Coz.

Thanks for the update.

Todd

First time since I have been back reading this forum that anyone has mentioned Aldora.......In fact, that is the primary reason I quit using the forum a few years ago....It absolutely became an advertising venue for them, and, while I have never used them, and those who love them were free to say how good they were, it just got to be downright love mushy.......First time I was there I dove with a couple from Black Shark, but I can not recall names. Anyway, they have moved on, but I would like to find them again....BTW, we are leaving for Bonaire on 15 December, see you when we return. Larry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom