Quickly declining wetsuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Bare Velocity 5 mm wetsuit that is starting to fall apart. The problem is that it is only 3.5 years old with about 34 dives on it. Both sleeves are delaminating, and the chest seams on both sides are coming apart on the inside.

This has been a fantastic suit for me. It’s comfortable, warm and relatively easy to don and doff. I also have a 6 year old 7 mm Bare Sport Flex that is in pretty good condition, and both fit me well. So, do I take a chance that this is a fluke, and go with the same thing? Has anyone else had this problem with Bare wetsuits?

Thanks,

Erik

A few thoughts come to mind.

How much contact do you make with the bottom, with rocks, with corals, and with wrecks?

Is the suit a bit tight on you?

Do you by any chance toss it in a washing machine on occasion?

I’m making little to no contact with anything. There are no abrasions on the suit. The fabric that is covering the suit is starting to “bubble“, for lack of a better word, and only on the front of the sleeves. Which has me wondering if it’s from pulling the suit up.

The fit is good, and maybe even a little loose. My shoulders both roll forward, which makes most wetsuits I’ve tried uncomfortable, and start cutting into the front of my armpits.

I appreciate the questions, though.

I have a Bare Velocity 5 mm wetsuit that is starting to fall apart. The problem is that it is only 3.5 years old with about 34 dives on it. Both sleeves are delaminating, and the chest seams on both sides are coming apart on the inside.

This has been a fantastic suit for me. It’s comfortable, warm and relatively easy to don and doff. I also have a 6 year old 7 mm Bare Sport Flex that is in pretty good condition, and both fit me well. So, do I take a chance that this is a fluke, and go with the same thing? Has anyone else had this problem with Bare wetsuits?

Thanks,

Erik
Wow!

I have that same wetsuit, probably twice as old and three times as many dives.

It is in near perfect condition.

Can I ask what your cleaning protocol has been?

Why do you think a washing machine is an issue?

Neoprene is the cockroach of synthetics.

"Because of its tolerance of extreme conditions, neoprene is used to line landfills. Neoprene's burn point is around 260 °C (500 °F)."

Wow!

I have that same wetsuit, probably twice as old and three times as many dives.

It is in near perfect condition.

Can I ask what your cleaning protocol has been?
I rinse in warm fresh water for a couple of hours, then hang it inside out to dry. After the inside dries I turn it right side out to finish the drying. It hangs on a wetsuit hanging in my basement, with a dehumidifier running, when not in use. I did start thinking that I might be doing something wrong with the cleaning and storage, so I’m open to any suggestions in that area.

I’m glad to hear that yours is still in great shape. Makes me more comfortable thinking of getting the same one.

A few thoughts come to mind.

How much contact do you make with the bottom, with rocks, with corals, and with wrecks?

Is the suit a bit tight on you?

Nope, no washing machine.

Just throwing out random guesses. Washing machines can be tough on neoprene and some divers use them regularly.

By any chance have you been diving in hydrochloric acid?
Real Neoprene laughs at a washing machine...

Reading about the original applications of Neoprene (i.e. why it was created: high temperature, high pressure,...) provides some scary use case scenarios. A washing machine is a cake walk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom