R.I.P. Frank Variny

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAVDVR93538

NSS-CDS Cave Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Every once in a while a special person comes across ones path in life and Frank Variny was one of those people.
He was a very genuine individual and I had the pleasure of meeting Frank. He was a student in one of my dry suit classes and his excitement and inquisitive nature was very apparent.
He had a lingering pain in his stomach and after a visit to the doctor he found out that he had stage 4 gastric cancer.
He put together a bucket list of things that he wanted to do in the scuba arena and one of those was ice diving that he did last year about this time in Cedar Lake in Lake Villa, Il. His last dive adventure was a trip to Bonne Terre mine. The pressure from the water made diving very painful for him, his father told me at his memorial service yesterday evening. After that he mostly concentrated on trying to battle this and spend the quality time he had left with his family. He had some progress and at one point only had small evidence of cancer at the molecular level. None the less it came back with a vengence and Frank lost his fight on Monday Feb. 21, 2011.
R.I.P. my friend
He is survived by his wife and 2 young children

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom