rain go away!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
hey all!
i've been looking at the forecasts....seems like it's been raining forever! we're coming there next week......so bummed if it rains all day...

do the boats still go out?? rain continuous? no sun at all???

thanks,

-down dan

deputydan1:
hey all!
i've been looking at the forecasts....seems like it's been raining forever! we're coming there next week......so bummed if it rains all day...

thanks,

-down dan

Boats go out unless the seas get too high and the harbormaster shuts it down.

deputydan1:
hey all!

thanks,

-down dan

I don't know about you, but I usually get wet when I dive :)

Rain does not stop the boats from going out unless it's REALLY, REALLY bad.

This time of year the forecast ALWAYS says it's raining. We are in the tropics...we have tropical weather, that means rain this time of year...sometimes light, sometimes heavy...sometimes all day...sometimes just afternoon/evening/morning showers.

It could be pouring in town, and perfectly sunny out on the ocean or vice versa...it could be pouring down rain for three hours, and then the sun comes out and we have blue skies.

My point is the wether changes VERY frequently and it is virtually unpredictable this time of year. The weather people are safe to say chance of thunderstorms and showers...so that's what it always says. Come down and don't let the rain ruin your vacation.

I love it when it rains everything smells so fresh and clean. The rain never lasts long enough to spoil a vacation.

deputydan1:
hey all!

thanks,

-down dan

Not to worry; my last trip the Wunderground forecast said "thunderstorms" or "chance of thunderstorms" every day. In actuality, it rained a total of two times in 14 days, and never for more than a few minutes; the rest of the time we had scattered white puffy clouds and bright sunlight. Don't worry, be happy.

wahoooooooooo!!

thanks, amigos!!!

-dan

deputydan1:
hey all!

thanks,

-down dan

I just got back from Coz on the 12th. It rained 4 of the 5 days I dove. We went out in the rain on Monday, but two other couples canceled, I guess they didn't want to get wet! So, it was just the DM, my wife and I. The diving was great.

On Tuesday, it threatened to rain and one of the same couples canceled again, and again it was only the DM and my wife and I.

On Wed we dove the Cenotes so it really didn't matter much anyhow, but it didn't rain.

On Thurs we finally had 6 divers in the boat. When we came up from our second dive it was raining like crazy and the water was a little rough. Thank goodness for dive parkas on the way back!

On Fri the harbor was closed in the AM due to rain/storm, but it opened later and we we went out at 11 AM - again, just the DM my wife and I. The other divers canceled again due to weather.

As the air temp is in the 80's when it rains and in the 90's the rest of the time, and the water was 82 I just couldn't see why the other divers kept canceling.

The only bad news is that the rain affects the visibility. Depending on the day and the location the visability varied greatly, from maybe 50 feet to 150 feet. It was never as good as the pictures I've seen of the area. The DM told me the mix of fresh water and salt clouds things up, as well as the run-off from the island.

If I was to do it over I'd try to avoid the rainy season only due to the reduced vis. Don't get me wrong, it was still great, but not as good as it could get.

However, if you're there to dive, don't let the rain stop you. We had great dives all week. The critters and reef don't care about the rain!

Wally

Are umbrella's used in Coz? Any particular clothing used for this time of season. I now it is hot and humid, but would you recommend a windbreaker?

diverdann:
Are umbrella's used in Coz? Any particular clothing used for this time of season. I now it is hot and humid, but would you recommend a windbreaker?

Umbrellas are prohibited by law on Cozumel.

Not really.

I usually take a small folding umbrella and a rain poncho, and I seldom if ever use either of them. Unless some sort of tropical system rolls in on you (like it looked like was there the last couple of days), any rain you will encounter this time of year will likely be of short duration. Duck in some place, have a beer, and it will be over in a few minutes.

lol!

ok then....so i've learned here to not let a little rain damper this vacation....thanks!

-dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom