Rainbow River Road Trip in September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Would anyone be interested in doing the short road trip to KP Hole (Dunnellon), and have Captain Dave take us up Rainbow River?

I thinking sometime in Mid-September over the weekend.

Plantation Dive Center runs the Op through Captain Dave. You must have a minimum of 8 people, and the cost is 10 bucks per. I was looking at doing 2 dives ($20 bucks total).

Rainbow River is breath taking, and the clarity is right up there Ginnie Springs (if not better). This is a drift dive. The current is just enough to carry you back down the river. I don't think you will meet anyone that will say this a not a great dive.

Max depth is typically 23 feet.

Post up if your interested.:coffee:

I have been there many many times and I agree this is a wonderful place to dive. I don't know Capt Dave and/or how he setups up the dives. Some things I have done in the past are:

1. Rented an canoe (for holding extra gear and tanks) and had some one with a boat tow us up river past the elbow. Then we drift dive down the river doing what ever dive plans we wanted. The boat operator did not stay with us.

2. Rented a canoe and paddled up river and drifted back. No boat operator needed.

I would be consider doing rainbow with you but I don't see a need to arrange a trip through a dive center.

I have been there many many times and I agree this is a wonderful place to dive. I don't know Capt Dave and/or how he setups up the dives. Some things I have done in the past are:

1. Rented an canoe (for holding extra gear and tanks) and had some one with a boat tow us up river past the elbow. Then we drift dive down the river doing what ever dive plans we wanted. The boat operator did not stay with us.

2. Rented a canoe and paddled up river and drifted back. No boat operator needed.

I would be consider doing rainbow with you but I don't see a need to arrange a trip through a dive center.

How much did you pay for the canoe rental Ben?

Paying someone $10 to do the work for me is worth it.

American Pro Diving charges $40 in comparison for the same trip.

Captain Dave lives on the river, and knows it inside out. On the way up the river he points out spots to look for.

Regardless it's a fun, simple dive.

I might be interested in this for me and the little Mrs. depending on the dates and times. Ten bucks is cheap and I have never done the river.

I am definately interested - just did Ginnie Springs and the Devils yesterday - loved it. My schedule is pretty flexible with some notice. Keep me in the loop. Cant be $10 per tow

I would love to do that, my fiancee would also. Cant beat 10 bucks!

How much did you pay for the canoe rental Ben?

Paying someone $10 to do the work for me is worth it.

American Pro Diving charges $40 in comparison for the same trip.

Captain Dave lives on the river, and knows it inside out. On the way up the river he points out spots to look for.

Regardless it's a fun, simple dive.
I believe the canoe rental was less than 15 bucks for the day. Most of the time we just use the canoe for carrying the extra gear for everyone - so everyone splits the cost of one canoe.

Yes - paying 10 bucks to avoid sweating it out to get up up river this time of year - I do agree.

Depending on how you setup your dive plan you can get 3-4 dives out of one trip up river. That's why we tow the canoe up river with extra tanks if we need them. I have witnessed some boat operators that stay with the divers and have them adhere to a schedule and I have seen others that just drop off the divers and leave. Do you know how Capt Dave does it?

KP Hole park is very nice and clean. Way way way better than Ginnie. Imagine Ginnie without the trash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom