Rainwatch 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got a call from a friend on Tao, and the Navy is pulling people off from there as well. I'm in Koh Phra Thong right now (off the coast of Kurahuri, N of Khao Sok), and it hasn't stopped raining since Monday. The previous week it was typical early monsoon weather (Wed until Sunday), where we'd get half day of sun, and evening it poured. Staring on Monday it's been non-stop, but we don't have the wind that they have on the Gulf, so the damage has been minimal.

Until today. It finally broke. Rain stopped for two hours, but the wind... the wind. I see nothing but whitecaps out there right now. While the rain is lighter, the sea looks AWFUL. Our bay, where the dive boat would leave from (if we were crazy enough to try) is dark brown and even breaking numerous times in fast succession. The frequency seems really fast, and on the other beach (the ocean side/West beach), the surface seems to be moving at an ever faster clip south. Which is odd. Because the beach is East. The waves are traveling almost parallel to the shore.

Freaky weather... I agree. Early monsoon... maybe not, but unless it stops soon, I feel the season is coming to an end one way or another.

Good luck to anyone on the gulf side. I hope you're safe. For those of us Westies, I hope it doesn't get worse.

I have been off Koh Tao for a month. My friends on Koh Tao have been sending me pictures. The businesses down near the beach (sairee) are flooded out. Choppers is under water i guess. Paved roads are completely washed out and crumbling away in places. Some of the houses up the hill (up past Sairee stadium near the big yellow building) are being washed out and a few are actually falling down. It's crazy. Way worse then the monsoon flooding that happened back in the beginning of December.

Rain Rain on Koh Tao | Facebook

If that link doesn't work, then go to Eco Koh Tao group and look for album "Rain Rain on Koh Tao"

pictures from Tao. There are examples of the flooding outside of Choppers and inside a restaurant called Morava. Roads washed out... buildings collapsing. Be careful out there.

Yeah the way chappers and morova are built, the first level is below street level so any heavy rain causes them to flood. Not very smart construction. But now the Navy is evacuating tourists, not sure about residents yet. Also I am hearing rumors that the island is out of fuel. This is bad because fuel run generators is how a lot of the island is powered. I really hopes this weather breaks soon. Roads and buildings are still being washed out.

The rain has finally stopped here in Ranong but the sun has not made an appearance. Crossing my fingers that we have turned the corner. Still touch and go. My thoughts are with you folks over on Koh Tao.

Hi all !

I live here on Koh Tao and would like to re-assure all travelers that everything is getting back to normal. The rain has stopped, the wind has dropped and ferry services have resumed.

Koh Tao is NOT a disaster zone - we had power, water and food - just no ferries. I have been here through many monsoons and although I have never seen this amount of rain dumped in such a short space of time, I have known ferries not run for over a week during monsoon. However this is not monsoon but a freak storm.

There has been some damage however the majority has been to residential areas and would not effect visitors to the island. In the few places that visitors would see where there has been damage, work is already underway to fix the problems. Once the sun is out, tomorrow, the inconvenience to visitors will be negligible.

I have seen this island dust itself off and get back to business as usual very quickly before and this time will be no different. I expect business as usual in 24 hours or less.

If you want to read more, see photos and video then check out my blog posts.

Koh Tao after the rain.

Ayesha

Good to hear, Ayesha. You don't know me personally, but we share a number of acquaintances/friends.

The rain stopped today here on Koh Phra Thong. Even gonna try and dive tomorrow!!

Stay safe (dry?) everyone,

Gannon

Dive boats went out today, ferries have been running from yesterday and we got deliveries of fresh fruit and veg today too - which means the boats ran overnight.

Today is bright - Im just going to track down my sunglasses ......

well we re booked on a similans liveaboard for the 6th.... any thoughts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom