Raja Ampat, Banda, or Dumaguete/Tubbataha? Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,
I am taking pakman's great advice and starting my own thread. My debate is this. I need to choose between a liveaboard to Raja Ampat out of Sorong, or a liveaboard to Banda out of Ambon (I have already done Lembeh and Bunaken) in Indonesia or 5 nights at the Bahura Resort Dumaguete with a 6 night liveaboard on the Oceanic Explorer doing the Tubbataha Reef area. Time of year will be mid March, 2009.

I just loved Indonesia and long to go back, but then this great group trip was formed for the exciting Philippine adventure. I could really use some feedback from those who have gone to both places or have first hand info.
Thanks,
Laine

Hi Laine,

If you haven't already seen it, there's a nice trip report on a liveaboard trip to Raja Ampat posted in the Indonesia section.

I haven't done Tubbataha yet (still on my to do list). I always hear mixed reports on this trip. Some people will rave about, having seen tons of sharks, mantas, and maybe a passing whaleshark, even a hammerhead, and of course great coral. But then I get comments others who have been there saying it was just OK. Maybe they just got unlucky.

I don't know the Bahura resort, but I have been to Atlantis Resort in Dumaguete nearby. The area is lovely. Very secluded, nice volcanic black sand beaches, and of course some great macro dives along the shore. Beautiful frogfish, nudi's, etc... If you're an u/w photographer, it's a great place to dive.

Most of the resorts in Dumaguete can also arrange day trips to Apo Island which is also one of my favorites. As a sanctuary, the reef and fishlife are very healthy. Lots of turtles, schools of jacks, and you might encounter a Napoleon wrasse or bumphead parrotfish (although I didn't see them on my trip).

Suggest, you take a look into the individual Indonesia and Philippines subforums, do a search on the trips you are looking into and feel free to post questions there as well. As I mentioned to the other person, this "General Asia" section tends to be forgotten black hole and most people tend to post in the country specific subforums.

Cheers and best of luck on your trip planning!

Thanks Packman for your reply. I do underwater videography and my husband does stills so I am sure we would love either destination. Thanks for your advice and I will do more scubaboard research before we make our decision.

Laine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom