Ran over at LBTS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few years ago, a bunch of us from SB did a reef ID fish count. We went in at Datura St. I decided to bring my lobster gear along.. just in case. Upon exit, there was a FWC officer wanting to see lobster licenses. Sure. No problem. Drop my gear down. Open the trunk of my car. Show him my license. He gave me a warning because it was not physically on me (this was in the days when the license was still paper, not waterproof like now).
We go back out to do a second dive. Boat splits our flags.. where was FWC then?
I can't tell you how many times I've seen prop wash while displaying my boat sized dive flag. Here and in Venice. And somebody getting hurt doesn't seem to encourage enforcement. Every few years we hear of some diver / freediver getting hit by a boat.. nothing happens.
Every year this conversation comes up on SB..how do we educate /inform boaters of the dive flag... Every year.

Unfortunately, the ones who need to see threads like this probably never will. I just got back from LBTS. Spent last week diving there. I can tell you that it's not just shore diving that has this problem.

We were out on the third reef doing a drift dive, three groups of divers, three flags and we got buzzed by a fishing boat as well. All those square miles of ocean and they 'just happen' to go right over the top of the dive flag: what are the odds of that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

No, but it would be interesting if it was related to such an incident.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom