Ranger Assembly w/Accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waxawa3074

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have (what appears to be) an older model Ranger that I purchased from somebody here on SB. I also have some additional weight pockets that I bought separately from my LDS. Now I just received my QD SMB with zipper mount pouch and the Zip Mount Adapters, which were both purchased from an online dealer.

Here's the frustration. It appears I won't be able to get everything assembled the way I thought it was all designed to. Can somebody take a look at this picture and tell me if there is something wrong? Will I have to go out and spend more money to get the grommet mount pouch and quick links with straps?

s5bxwm.jpg

21bruwl.jpg

dxgruw.jpg

---------- Post added ----------

To be clear, I can easily assemble it with the bladder and weight pouches. the problem seems to be with the zipper adapters. Something just doesn't seem right.

I've watched the video. It's of no help. Have a look for yourself. The bladder is in the way of the zipper mount.

I'm not following you, it obviously works in the video. Yours seems maybe a little different looking but IDK why. I have a Ranger LTD and on it the zip mount is on the inside of the wing - looking at yours my guess would be that the zipmount would mount between the wing and the backplate which seems different than the video. I think the QD would mount between the pocket and the wing on yours.

Best to wait till Scott sees this thread.

Remove the bladder attachment strap from the bottom part of the BC, (the short piece of webbing that is running through the webbing on the back of the vest where the lower tank band goes) and just use the tank band to attach it, like we do on the video.

It looks like you have all the proper pieces, and I see no reason why it won't work...but maybe I'm missing something?

Scott

I was under the impression that those straps were needed for the bladder due to the width of the backplate. Wouldn't using the tank band pull the bladder in toward the tank and/or not secure the tank properly?

What I'm having a hard time understanding is how you attach both, the zipper mount and the weight pouch, at the same time. Which vertical pieces of webbing do I attach the Velcro portions to? Do the bladder attachment straps serve any purpose in a single tank setup? How do I use these straps if the zipper mount is installed?

Maybe more pictures would help?

Last edited:
You know, now that you mention it, I think the zip on attachment platform was developed after we had gone away from the 4 pieces of webbing on the back of the BC.

Let me see if I can find an old one around here and mess around with it a little...and see if I can come up with something.

You might be right - it simply may not work on the older BCs like you have...but give me a day or two!!

Thanks,

Scott

OK, after going over this 1000 times in my head last night, here is what I think might work. :)

1. Put the 8137 Zip Mounts on the outer 2 pieces of vertical webbing. Line up the bottom stainless steel piece with the lower bladder attachment strap and then attach the top velcro piece around the vertical webbing. You might have to pull and tug on the bladder attachment strap to get it to fit through BOTH the slide on the 8137 and the bladder, but it should work!

When it is on correctly, the 8137 zipper should sit between the bladder and the vest section - not on the outside of the bladder by the tank bands!

2. Attach the 8051Z rear weight pockets to the 2 pieces of vertical webbing that are in the middle of the vest. Line them up so that the loop on the back (bottom) of the 8051Z will sit where the tank band can run through it, then velcro the top to the 2 center pieces of vertical webbing. Then run the tank band through the 8051Z to secure the bottom to the BC.

I believe that this will work...but I don't have an old enough BC laying around here to actually try it, so you will have to bear with me on this... :)

Let me know how it turns out!!

Thanks,

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom