Ranger LTD Newb Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used 18 # in each front pocket without any problem (other than being able to lift my scuba unit).

All hard weights, so you won't have any problem there.

Eventually, I put 20# on a weight belt and cut way back on my front pocket weights.

FishoutuvH20 is correct:

From Zeagle's website:
Ranger Zeagle Systems - Scuba Diving Equipment Manufacturer

Standard Ranger Features:

30-lb capacity Ripcord® weight system
20-LB capacity rear trim weight system

One more question I have: while I have no plans to use double tanks any time in the near future, I know the LTD was supposed to have some difference that makes it possible / easier to use double tanks. What feature is this, how is the LTD different from the normal Ranger that makes doubles better?
I'm not sure there is any difference:
Zeagle's modular construction allows the Ranger to transition between tropical travel diving, rugged cold water diving in wet or dry suits, single or twin cylinders
Both use the exact same mounting system. http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?submenu=Accessories&src=gendocs&link=Twin_Instructions. The video lists both in the title: http://zeaglecom.web.siteprotect.net/videos/Doubles-256.wmv

That would most likely be the page for the 2009s though. All sites list the 2009 at 50 lbs: there is no issue there. The problem is this 46lb number every site seems to list for the 2008.

I'm not sure there is any difference: Both use the exact same mounting system. Description of Twin Tank Mounting Zeagle Systems - Scuba Diving Equipment Manufacturer. The video lists both in the title: http://zeaglecom.web.siteprotect.net/videos/Doubles-256.wmv
For the 2008 LTD, one of the "additional features" listed is: "Tank bands designed to hold twin cylinder sets"

The 2009 page says one of the differences with the LTD is: "The Tank Bands are designed so they can be lengthened to hold twin cylinder sets."

I don't really get what this means.

That would most likely be the page for the 2009s though. All sites list the 2009 at 50 lbs: there is no issue there. The problem is this 46lb number every site seems to list for the 2008.
The page I referenced was for the 2008 Ranger, not the 2009 Ranger LTD. I've owned a Ranger LTD for the past 5 years and have several friends who do also. It's always been 30/20 for the Ranger/Ranger LTD.

Since you're seeing different info than I am, please contact ScottZeagle here on SB for a definitive answer.

For the 2008 LTD, one of the "additional features" listed is: "Tank bands designed to hold twin cylinder sets"

The 2009 page says one of the differences with the LTD is: "The Tank Bands are designed so they can be lengthened to hold twin cylinder sets."

I don't really get what this means.
I may be wrong about this but I believe it means that you can extend the bands to wrap around both cylinders on the LTD. It's detailed on page 11 of the manual. I think it just has to do with decreasing the amount of "wiggle" if you're only using the doubles mounting system as 2 screws/bolts mounted through the soft backpack can't be as stable as using a backplate. But that's just my guess.

Something else to ask Scott, please post his response here.

The page I referenced was for the 2008 Ranger, not the 2009 Ranger LTD. I've owned a Ranger LTD for the past 5 years and have several friends who do also. It's always been 30/20 for the Ranger/Ranger LTD.

Since you're seeing different info than I am, please contact ScottZeagle here on SB for a definitive answer.
Okay after looking around some more I'm seeing everything for the 2008 model from 40 pounds up to 60 pounds: no site seems to know. They also mention "10 lbs non-diver releasable rear/trim weights", which doesn't make sense since the rear weights are releasable.

How do you know that page is for the 08 model? It seems to just be the main Ranger page, which I'd assume lists the new model.

But if it's been that way for five years, then you're probably correct. Which I guess brings up another question: since I won't be maxing this out, what is the best way to balance the rear and front weights? Should I just max out the rear then put the rest in the front, should I try for 50/50, should I aim for 2/3 in the front, etc? I'll probably have between 30 and 40 in weights in here (I'll try it like this, if I don't like it I'll purchase a belt).

I may be wrong about this but I believe it means that you can extend the bands to wrap around both cylinders on the LTD. It's detailed on page 11 of the manual. I think it just has to do with decreasing the amount of "wiggle" if you're only using the doubles mounting system as 2 screws/bolts mounted through the soft backpack can't be as stable as using a backplate. But that's just my guess.

Something else to ask Scott, please post his response here.
Interesting, thanks.

I'll wait a little bit more before asking Scott, just to see what others say.

What sites are you looking at? And why do you not believe what's on the Zeagle website?

BTW, I've been looking at the website off and on for years and can assure you that the only changes made recently in the BCD section were the additions of the New 2009 Ranger LTD and prior to that the new Ladies BCD.

Do you understand that only the Ranger LTD changed for 2009, the Ranger is still the 2008 and previous model? Compare the 2008 Ranger to yours, they're identical in style except for the add-ons to yours/mine. The 2009 LTD has a new harness, cosmetic changes and an extra top right pull dump.

I'm done here.

I'd suggest you ask ScottZeagle for clarification on any of this. It's part of what he does here to support their product line.

What sites are you looking at? And why do you not believe what's on the Zeagle website?
LeisurePro, Scuba.com, Scubatoys: none listed it at 50lbs. The Zeagle site I believe, I just wasn't sure if the model was the same.

BTW, I've been looking at the website off and on for years and can assure you that the only changes made recently in the BCD section were the additions of the New 2009 Ranger LTD and prior to that the new Ladies BCD.

Do you understand that only the Ranger LTD changed for 2009, the Ranger is still the 2008 and previous model? Compare the 2008 Ranger to yours, they're identical in style except for the add-ons to yours/mine. The 2009 LTD has a new harness, cosmetic changes and an extra top right pull dump.
Now see, I didn't know that. I figured there would be both a new base model and a new limited edition of that base model. It explains a few things, I've just never seen any sort of product where you have a base product which is still the newest version for multiple years but have "limited editions" on yearly increments. But come to think of it all the "2009" I've been seeing has been for the LTD.

Does it still have the useless pockets?

One thing you might think about doing if you are diving cold water. Mix your weight between an integrated and weight belt. 2 reasons - if you have to dump weights, you still have some on board...you might have a bit of control on your ascent instead of a "Hunt for Red October" incident...And the bloody thing is heavy with 40+ lbs of weight in it. Your boat buddies may appreciate it.
I have a 20lb belt and the remaining 22lbs in soft weight distributed to the weight pockets.

Good luck,
U/O

One thing you might think about doing if you are diving cold water. Mix your weight between an integrated and weight belt. 2 reasons - if you have to dump weights, you still have some on board...you might have a bit of control on your ascent instead of a "Hunt for Red October" incident...And the bloody thing is heavy with 40+ lbs of weight in it. Your boat buddies may appreciate it.
I have a 20lb belt and the remaining 22lbs in soft weight distributed to the weight pockets.

Good luck,
U/O
What I'm going to do is try without a belt, and if it's too annoying, I'll purchase the belt. So far my best experience is with both a weight belt and integrated (as opposed to purely belt), but I've never tried all integrated. I also shouldn't need more than 40lbs as long as I can avoid those stupid aluminum tanks.

However, if I put a good chunk of the weight in the rear pockets, I will still have some control over weight dumping. There are three seperate dump points, although I suppose adding a belt would give one more. Although that makes me wonder, as someone who has never used rear trim weights, is there anything I should know about weight distribution using them?

I haven't had any problems with trimming and the rear weight pockets. I have approx. 7 lbs in each. Probably more then most people have but it works for me.
Good luck,
U/O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom