Ranger LTD or standard????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No problem on the picture thing.... I've got a lot of people who call me up and ask, do I really look like the drawing, and I always respond "Drawing?? That's an actual photo from Glamor Shots!"

As far as lift vs. tank - really doesn't matter... sorta'. Let's assume your using an aluminum tank and wear 10 lbs of lead... It's just with a steel tank, you might only need 6 lbs and the tank is slightly more negative.

One of the main reasons for more lift is the amount of air you're carrying. An Aluminum 80 is holding about 6 lbs of air. Not let's assume you have 2 steel 120's so thats 240 cubic feet of air, which then will weigh 3 times as much, or 18 lbs. You will need to weight youself so you can do a safety stop when these tanks are near empty, and that means add 18 lbs of weight to compensate for the air, so at the beginning of the dive, you will have to use 18 lbs of lift - just to counteract that extra weight. So would 35 be enough for that?? Maybe... depends on what else is going on.. Hang tanks, wetsuit, dry suit, other options.

I've found the 35 lb bladder works out great for recreational diving, teaching, etc. And while not a techy myself... any of our instructors or customers that are, use more then the 45 anyway... So I'd say go the 35 - and you can swap it out to a big birtha bladder later - or if going real tech, you'll probably pick up something specific for that later.

scubatoys:
I agree with herman that the 45 lbs of lift is a bit over-kill... But I like the harness better on the Ranger than the Escape... So I've been diving the best of both worlds. I've got an old Ranger, from when they still had the roll down pocket... And put an escape bladder on it. Perfect!

I kinda got excited about this combo - so I got Zeagle to custom make several hundred of them for us. It's called the Zeagle Brigade. So if you need the lift - Ranger, if you are satisified with just a few plastic D rings, Escape - or combo - Brigade...

Is switching out the bladders difficult? Can you switch back and forth between the two?

WileEDiver:
The LTD model also has the lumbar support that adds a great deal of comfort. I'm very happy with my Ranger LTD, but I don't think you'll go wrong with either model.

Funny, I just sold my lumbar pad out of my Ranger... it was too heavy out of the water (when wet), and it didn't seem to make much difference in the comfort of an already-comfortable BC.

Just my .02

-Allen

I would have to second Herman's recommendation to take a look at the Concept 2's. Does anyone know what is the diff. between a Concept 2 and a std. Ranger? I just picked up a used Concept 2 for my kids to use. It has the pull dump and a single lower dump valve. This one also has the two rear trim pockets (they tread thru the lower cam band and have pull tabs) and it has the lumbar pad. I don't know if the trim pockets and/or lumbar pad were standard but the Concepts seem to be $100 less than the Ranger and more likely half the price used on ebay. As far as warranty goes- I bought this from a LDS that took it in as a trade and they are not an authorized Zeagle dealer. I took it to another LDS I deal with that is an auth. dealer because the lower pull dump was malfunctioning. They sent it back to Zeagle and everything was R&R'd by the factory with no questions asked. The pull dump on the inflator is not standard on all Zeagles. I have a 911 I purchased new thru the same LDS I just used for service and there is no pull dump on that BC. For the way I use the BC, the pull dump isn't necessary.

Whatever happened to the Seaquest Black Diamond??? Love this BC! Honestly I love this thing! I like to be clean in the water, and this BC is clean, very little drag. All clips and buckles are easy to reach. The integrated weights are no problem to work with and stay put very well. I use 12# in each and have had no problems. Give this one a try and you'll buy one! It also has a pull dump incorporated in the inflator hose, nice touch indeed.

http://www.discountdivers.com/fx/seaquest.black.diamond.html

ShakaZulu:
Whatever happened to the Seaquest Black Diamond??? Love this BC! Honestly I love this thing! I like to be clean in the water, and this BC is clean, very little drag. All clips and buckles are easy to reach. The integrated weights are no problem to work with and stay put very well. I use 12# in each and have had no problems. Give this one a try and you'll buy one! It also has a pull dump incorporated in the inflator hose, nice touch indeed.

http://www.discountdivers.com/fx/seaquest.black.diamond.html
I'd say biggest complaint is that you couldn't find a line of equipment (Seaquest) with higher mark-ups. Even LP's prices are high when compared to Zeagle. While most name brand gear is well made, I haven't seen anything that is better than the Zeagle (as far as integrated BC's are concerned) and their lifetime warranty is prettey comprehensive. They have been known to rebuild vests that have become well worn due to clorine exposure. Lastly, the rip cord weight dump system that Zeagle uses is a great feature, not found on anyone else's BC's.

DBailey:
Is switching out the bladders difficult? Can you switch back and forth between the two?

Takes about 10 minutes... Pretty simple.

I was thinking that there is never a time when my BC is completely full. I dive mostly in the Northeast and one thing came to mind, would you agree that a fully weighted BC with full tank should at least be able to float itself? A 35lb bladder might be a bit light if you've got the BC loaded with 32lbs in the pockets.

I would think that 32 lbs in the pockets would be a bit close. Of course remember that when you breath the tank down it is going to become bouyant.

Clutchcargo, why are you wearing 32lbs of lead? I have used a full and short 7MM suit using an aluminum 80 and only needed 30. That was on my first open water dive so I was a bit nervous so I know I could take a few pounds off.

32lbs is what it takes to keep me at 9-10' with an empty tank. I dove with a few divers that say they only need 26, 28 or whatever lbs. and towards the end of the dive on our way back to shore, they float away and need to surface swim the last 50 or so yards. I wear a 7mm john/jacket and use an aluminum tank.
Now back to my point, if you're diving from a small boat without a ladder or a kayak and you need to doff the rig to get back in, you don't want it to sink, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom