Ranger Vrs Stiletto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kradatzke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been looking at both the Ranger and the Stiletto as possible options for my first BCD. From what I have seen and read both BCD's seem to be rugged and well built. My LDS stock's the Ranger and I have been able to try it for fit and really take a good look at it. They don't have the Stiletto so all I have been able to see is what is online. My diving will likely be split between tropical ( travel ) and cold water drysuit diving here on the West Coast. From doing my open water drysuit course the instructors all feel the 35lb lift of the Stiletto is fine , and at this point only being a recreationally diver I don't see any twin tank diving in the future. I am thinking that with the smaller bladder and slightly lighter weight the Stiletto may travel a bit better , plus it is about $150 less. The Ranger just about seems a bit closer to a Tec diving setup , I think more than I need for what I can see myself doing. One feature that I thought would be a big plus on the Ranger were the large buckles it has ( easier to use with cold water gloves on)
Does anybody know if the Stiletto vest construction is like the Ranger with large straps, buckles etc. And any other thoughts / opinions would be welcome.

Kelly

Husband has a Ranger, son has a Stiletto. If you're going to travel, I recommend the Stiletto dries far quicker than the material on the Ranger.

A few minor differences:

The weight pocket capacity is slightly reduced on the Stiletto.

The wing is fixed on the Stiletto and bungied - it can't be changed afaik.

The lumbar pad is sewn in. On the Ranger (at least on my LTD) it's removable. I doubt it matters.

At one time that was part of the differentiation between the Ranger and Ranger LTD, the pad was an option.
It appears that's no longer the case - at least judging by the Ranger picture on the website - it's included.

I'm pretty sure the buckles are the same. The sternum strap buckle and the wing buckles are. Unless something very unusual happens, you're going to close them once on the boat per dive.

I'd be more concerned with being able to tighten the straps with gloves, I do that occasionally as I get deeper. Wearing a lot of neoprene, you probably will also as it compresses. Zeagle puts nice plastic pull rings on the end of all the big straps to make that easier.

If you're going to hang a lot of things off it, the Ranger has one extra d-ring - 6 instead of 5.
Personally I use two of them regularly so IDK how much that matters.

Once you stress the system by standing with a tank in place, the zipper pockets are hard to open. Once you're floating they're easier.

If yours doesn't come with it, buy the BX Inflator. Makes a world of difference when flushing it. Both probably do though.

If you go to Zeagle.com and hover over each picture there's a Zoom feature rhat makes comparing a little easier.

Last edited:
I've got the Stiletto, and I really like it. I think the other posters have covered most of my comments. I've used Zeagle BC's for a number of years, and I found him to be very comfortable, rugged pieces of equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom