Ranger vs. Ranger-W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skatermegs

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I finally ordered my BCD (yay!) but I am already having second thoughts. :( I've been using a men's small ranger from my lds (I've had it for over a month, they have been AMAZING in letting my hold onto my rentals so my gear stays the same) and I really love the bcd-it does what I want and is really comfortable. However, I have a little trouble with where the weight sits, and also the shoulders-I end up with a huge amount of extra strap on my shoulders because I am pretty short (5'2). I had considered the women's version, but have no experience with it-so I went with what I know. Has anyone tried one/looked at one and know if there is a significant difference? I really want to make the right choice, since it will be around for awhile! Thanks ladies-now that I am finally buying gear I have a ton of questions!
Megan

I am not a lady, so I can't comment on that aspect of things...however, it sounds to me like some of that excess shoulder strap may be from the BC riding up when diving. Is there excess strap when you standing upright on land? If it is only when you are horizontal in the water then perhaps a crotch strap would help.

I am vertically challenged at 5'2" also and know your issues.
I have the Zeagle Zena designed for women. It is shorter in the waist and designed for smaller shoulders. Mine is integrated with the pockets for the weights so I don't have a belt. I like not wearing the belt but do find that on a two tank boat dive with the tanks up on the seat I have difficulty lifting my BCD at the necessary height to switch tanks. I usually have my buddy help or take the weights out. (Maybe I should just hit the gym more often :) On the ground is no problem.

Try one on at your dive shop if they carry them, put some weights in the pockets and walk around.

I actually looked at the zena, but with a drysuit and all the other gear we use around here it really isn't recommended for us. I was advised to go with something heavy duty, since my eventual aims are more teaching/tech then just strictly recreational. But I do love that women's have shorter waists, that is the biggest problem for me!

Skatermegs, are you able to try the women's version before you decide? Some shops will let you try the BC in the pool before you buy. Some shops will also let you order both BC's and try before you decide. If you are tall, straighter and have broader shoulders, then a unisex BC would be suitable. It sounds like the women's version will be a much better fit for you, since they are shorter and have narrower shoulders.

...Mine is integrated with the pockets for the weights so I don't have a belt. I like not wearing the belt but do find that on a two tank boat dive with the tanks up on the seat I have difficulty lifting my BCD at the necessary height to switch tanks. I usually have my buddy help or take the weights out. (Maybe I should just hit the gym more often :) On the ground is no problem.

You can still use a weight belt with a weight-integrated BC. A weight integrated BC just gives you more options in sorting out your trim. I am also petite and find it easier to put about half my weight on my belt and the other half between my side pockets and shoulder trim pockets. This makes tank switching on a seat really easy too. When I initially set up my tank, I put the weights in after I'm all set up.

A note of caution: It is actually not advisable to have all of your weight in your BC, because if for some remote reason you have to be separated from your BC, you could become extremely buoyant immediately, depending on your exposure protection. It is much safer to have all or at least enough weight to sink your exposure protection attached to your body by a weight belt or harness. It is a remote possibility, but it is possible.

Back
Top Bottom