Rangiroa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Augustus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We are looking at Rangiroa as a location for our next trip. Any current info on liveaboards vs land based operations. The pelagic action looks very temping.
Thanks in advance.

I cant speak highly enough of Rangiroa its one of my favourite places on earth to dive with Pelargics and one of the few places left with tonnes of big stuff. AFAIK there was a LOB French Polynesia Master that was to be beginning operation in 2016 but I have no info on that other than their website Master Liveaboards » French Polynesia

The other ship that does Rangi and Fakarava is the Paul Gaugin which is a small cruise ship.

I did Rangiroa on land staying at Pensione Teina and Marie and dove with a french Op Rangiroa Plongee - awesome time, lots of big currents and sharks and napoleans. There is not a lot to do on land. The Pensions are wonderful ways to enjoy some Tuomoto culture when you dine with the family. Tipuata Pass when its in express mode is nothing short of awesome.

Hi there Augustus!

We’re of the same opinion as Wingy, Rangiroa is great for diving with pelagics.

Right now there are two liveaboards operating in the area: Aqua Tiki II and French Polynesia Master. Aqua Tiki II is a 59-foot catamaran with a three-person crew. It has cruises that range from 6-16 nights. The French Polynesia Master is a 140-foot vessel with a 12-person crew. Most of its cruises last between 7 and 10 nights.

The land-based dive centers include TOPDIVE Rangiroa, Raie Manta Club, Rangiroa Plongee and The Six Passengers. Almost all of the dive centers are located in Tiputa village although most offer free transfers from your accommodation.

Enjoy your trip!

If Rangiroa is your place of interest, no need for a liveboard. The diveshops are max 30 minutes away from the pass.

I would also strongly recommend staying away from Topdive anywhere in FP - particularly Rangiroa. Search these forums for the reason why.

Back
Top Bottom