RAPTOR trip July 2-3, 2011 - Anacapa and Santa Cruz in the Channel Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caseywilson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Two dives on Saturday and three on Sunday. These were dives 4 thru 8 since my OW cert. The skipper and crew of the RAPTOR get double thumbs up for safety and making the trips a fun experience.
Because I went solo, I signed up a dive-guide. Bill R., one of Ventura Dive and Sport Shop's instructors buddied up with me for the two days. It was the second best investment I've made in diving after signing up for the OW cert classes and work.
The first thing Bill had to do was help me figure out a few problems with my brand new Sherwood AVID BC. The problems were all centered about weight and balance. Ninety-nine percent my fault. Like stashing two 3# weight bags in the AVID trim pockets. I did that because of the AVID placard that put a 10# limit in the integrated pouches. Problem is the trim pockets are on the back of the BC and I kept rolling upside down any time I tried to hover. When we got that problem sorted out, then all I could do was hover with my head straight down. Ankle weights took care of that.
Water temperature was surprisingly 61-68 degrees, with a couple chilly thermoclines, viz 20+feet, max depth for the weekend 38'. Lots of sealife. I'm not smart enought to identify all of what I saw but the Sunflower Star was probably the coolest.

I've got no problems giving the boat, the crew, Bill, and the trip: :D:D:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom