RAW, Nikon NES and Photoshop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds to me like you are in 16Bits/Channel mode in photoshop. Jpegs must be saved in 8Bits/Channel mode. You can change this at Image > Mode > 8Bits/Channel (according to the menu in CS2).

If you're able to open the file in Photoshop but not save it as a JPEG the file is probably 16 Bits. Go under Image>Mode and select 8 Bits/channel. You can now save as a JPEG.

Edit: Didn't see the above posts. My bad. You shouldn't have to save the files in 8-bit before saving as a JPEG.

There is a lot of information out there comparing RAW and JPG formats. JPG is a lossy format, meaning that it loses information and degenerates every time it is edited and recompressed. RAW files are virtually lossless and the editing you do to the file is reversible (a good thing for those learning) so you can always go back to the original captured data. RAW files store much more color information and this allows you more powerful control over exposure, color correction, etc, after the picture has been taken.

Treat RAW files like you would a film negative, they are irreplaceable. JPG files are more like prints from a negative, easy to share and somewhat disposable because you can make new JPG files from your RAW files. Check around the web and you will find tons of useful information on why you should shoot RAW if you want the best images. JPG is typically used for convenience and you compromise image quality compared to RAW.

Image editing programs have been working with Non-RAW file formats for a long time and they have become very sophisticated when working with JPG, TIFF and other file formats. RAW is a generic term for multiple manufacturer specific files like Nikon's NEF format. The variations between manufacturers, cameras and everyone trying to protect their proprietary file formats has slowed the development/refinement of RAW being handled as a standard file format in programs like Photoshop. Adobe utilizes Camera RAW in front of Photoshop to handle most of the editing features found in Nikon Capture and other Manufacturers RAW processing software. The editing features provided in Capture and Camera RAW are not found in Photoshop and they provide you with very powerful control over the image. When you have completeted the RAW editing the edits can be saved but you have to choose another file format to open the file in Photoshop in order to access the other image editing tools available in that program.

I have found that I tend to edit photos in two phases, first processing the RAW file in Capture or Camera RAW and then importing the image into Photoshop and utilizing the more sophisticated enhancement tools in Photoshop to complete the editing process. There are multiple tools and methods to process photos and each picture required different techniques and this leads many people to disagree over processes.

If you are pulling your RAW files into Photoshop you can choose many file formats. One benefit you have in Photoshop is the ability to operate in the Native Photoshop format and utilize 12 bit depth in lieu of dropping all the way to 8 bit from the RAW files native 16 bit. The more color bit depth you maintain, the more color you have to work with while editing.

There are also specialized software plug-ins and programs that do a better job of Capture or Photoshop for specific enhancement processes such as sharpening and image enlargement. The need for these specific tools depends on your particular needs.

Lastly, there are photo database programs that help you process, tag, organize and backup your photos so you do not become bogged down in the eventual morass that you hard drive will become. Not everyone needs this category of software, but you will pick up some great organizational methods if you take time to learn about how they work.

Whew, that was long winded and boring! :coffee:

tx51210:
I have found that I tend to edit photos in two phases, first processing the RAW file in Capture or Camera RAW and then importing the image into Photoshop and utilizing the more sophisticated enhancement tools in Photoshop to complete the editing process. There are multiple tools and methods to process photos and each picture required different techniques and this leads many people to disagree over processes.

I tend to follow the same process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom