RAW or Zoom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sascha.tietz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

I know this question comes up a lot and I've tried to read through as many threads as possible to find an answer, but like so many others I am trying to find a replacement for my current P&S (LCD is broken). I've spent a decent amount of time playing with various cameras in the store, reading through reviews, etc ... and there seem to be a variety of camera models that are suitable for my needs (> 5x optical zoom, good low light, HD video, reasonable compact):

Canon Powershot G12
Canon Powershot SX230 HS
Sony Cybershot DSC-HX9V
Nikon Coolpix P7000

All these cameras appear to have a very similar performance, I suppose. So what it boils down to for me is the question if I really want to shoot in RAW or if I prefer to have larger optical zoom (my current P&S has 10x optical and I've used that a lot)? Any opinions from people who've used either of these cameras (or know of even better ones) and have experience in post processing of U/W pictures (from JPEG or RAW) would be highly appreciated!

Thanks everyone and safe diving!
Sascha

If you intend to use it underwater RAW is more important than zoom. (My opinion)

From the above list G12 is the most popular for underwater use. I would also look at the S95.

The camera is not as important as the system of available housings, lenses, strobes that fit your needs underwater. Then it narrows down your choices dramatically.

In a nutshell, the S95 has very good wide angle and macro lens options available. The G12 has superior macro options but limited wide angle compared to the S95. Both have RAW capability. The G12 has more zoom which also predisposes it more for macro than wide.

Underwater the RAW is far more important, and the canons mentioned already are spot on. However, if you need a zoom as well for topside use, check out the fuji f550exr which has both, albeit is limited to fuji's own housings

underwater you're not going to use the zoom a whole lot. A little here and there, but not much. Shooting is RAW is the way to go for underwater.

In fact, high zoom camera can be a disadvantage for UW as typically require long lens port; then no way to add WA lens without vigneting.
I'm quite happy with the new Oly XZ-1, very compact, RAW, larger sensor than other compact, TTL at manual mode (canon TTL does not work at manual mode) - very good quality Olympus housing with 67mm filter thread. I also have G9, and I love XZ-1 more.
Check my gallery - album Bali 2011 - all macro pictures were taken by my 11 years daughter with XZ-1.

I'll fourth the vote for RAW. You'll save a lot more pics than you'll get with higher zoom.

You must take a camera that can shoot using the RAW format; for post editing of your photos it makes such a huge difference.
If you are looking at the Canon range then for sure the S95 and the G12 are the best for the price range. If you look at the possibilities for underwater housings, then Ikelite do a great housing (little more expensive than the canon one) but has the potential of adding wide angle and macro lenses.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! It sounds like RAW is definitely the way to go underwater (even if I have no idea yet on how the editing actually works). What software does one use for that?

The S95 and the Olympus XZ-1 are certainly great cameras, but I'll be using the camera about 75% of the time above water where zoom maters a bit more. The 3.8x or 4x zoom probably won't do the job for that ... but I have to check out the Fujifilm F550EXR that seems to offer a combination of zoom and RAW. Problem being that there doesn't appear to be a housing manufacturer except for Fujifilm itself, which then might not be compatible with other strobes etc. The other difference appears to be the lack of TTL for a strobe, considering that I am at best an amateur photographer (esp underwater) how important is TTTL versus slave controlled strobes?

Sorry for all these questions, but a new camera starts a series of investments (housing, strobes, ...) so I want to make sure that I am comfortable with what I am getting.

Thanks!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom