RBC rigidity and you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100days-a-year

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
THanx to Delta_P for the link first-off.A preliminary perusal of studies and papers at the NIH suggest that 02 is a bigger component of acidosis-caused RBC rigidity than nitogen.Factors such as CO2,lactic acid and HCL also contributed.Hyperbaric Oxygen (HBO)increased RBC osmotic fragility and acidosis.Alternating exposures with air or reduced PO2 due to He decreased the acidosis and fragility.
As some asides I discovered a few more things,1 study used mass-spectrograms to test expired air and found that He/02 based deco was less effective than pure 02 at removing nitrogen.Of couse at deeper stops some inert gas must be present.
Also found studies indicating reduced acidosis when the subjects dosed with vitamins C&E.
Also found pychometric scores at depth gradually returned to control scores at shallow depths suggesting an adaptation to narcosis.At least according to a study I found .
Why all the concern about RBCs and acidosis etc..?I found that a significant amount of divers experience necrotic damage to joints(think Bo Jackson)due to diving.Exposures that did not incur DCS.And that in some cases years later the conditions had not only continued but worsened in spite of no further exposure to depth.
I have decided to back off on my PO2s even more and already take anti-oxidants which have been shown to decrease damage as I would love to continue to dive for another 40 yrs or so.The linx to Pub-Med are in the Recreational Tri-mix thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom