RCI cruise questions -- Costa Maya and Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the reply it means a lot. I saw the reviews on Cruise Critic and I've found over the years(as with all forums) to take what I read with a grain of salt. It actually means more to me that you posted again here. I'll put your shop at the top of the list and hope to see many more favorable reviews before I start making reservations in March for our cruise in June.
We were in Costa Maya last April and I'm curious to see how much it grew in a years time.

Clint

At Maya Palms there it is not necessary to bring your water with you. With the exception of the fresh water rinse for your gear the entire resort runs purified (reverse osmosis) water including the sinks and toilets. Here at the resort we generate our own electricity and make our own water and ice. We will enjoy having you here to dive with us, whether or not you show up with your own water.

www.mayapalms.com

I was one of the people on the dive with the group from Cruise Critic that Phil is talking about. I have my review below. They are an up/coming dive shop and still have growing pains. Hopefully the transportation issues can be worked. It wasn't bad, just confusing. And part of that has nothing to do with B.O.S. but with Costa Maya itself. They still are trying to get their shop up/running and that will be a plus. We had good dives. The shortest air fill I heard of was 2800psi. But our boat was awesome. Rodgrigo was great so ask for him if you go. :D

Dive Review-Costa Maya

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dive Review
Date-----------12/15/06
Port of Call--Costa Maya
Dive Shop----Blue Ocean Safari
2 tank dive
Originally our group was going to dive with Dreamtime. But Carnival is now contracted with Dreamtime for their dive excursions. It would be double -almost triple the cost versus on our own or the company we booked with on all our dive excursions. When it seemed we wouldn’t be diving in Costa Maya, I started looking for dive shops and found B.O.S. I contacted Phil & Julie who own the shop and started getting info.
They are a young, up/coming dive shop. They have a small shop adjacent a small hotel on Mahahual. They are a PADI approved dive shop and give dive lessons as well. We got them set up with the booking agency we use and we got our dives set up. If you consider using this dive shop, please realize they are a new dive shop just getting going. They have new equipment but not the biggest shop or biggest boat. But they care and they take care of you. Sometimes communication is limited due to the location on the island. Be patient. If your in a hurry, need a huge boat, then this isn’t the shop for you.
We had 11 divers this trip. They had 2 medium size boat for us. They had canopies which was helpful as on our day of diving, we started with pouring rain. The canopy helped somewhat.
Our dive masters were Rodrigo for our boat and Douglas for the other boat. They also had a captain of the boat. Douglas by the way started the shop that is now Dreamtime and is now helping Blue Ocean Safari get going. This island is virtually untouched thus far. You see jungle, single level homes/buildings. And the reefs are very innocent.
Our 1st dive site was Maya Palms. The plan was to do the deep dive first and then do the shallow dives on the next one. Once again it’s a back roll entry. It’s not a drift dive but when you dive, the boat follows. So it’s there when you come up. The deepest depth on this dive was 103 ft. for me with an average depth of 52. This dive lasted 42 minutes. Parts of the dive were very pretty and other parts (due to a storm the night before) were like the Sahara desert under water. Still lot’s to see. Sponges, coral, parrotfish, French angelfish and a huge lobster. We had some crevice swim throughs too…. They also had a videographer on the boat too…. That was cool… Looking forward to my DVD to watch. It’s the same routine coming back to the boat. Hand off the weight belt and the BC.
For our surface interval they take us back to the little island. It’s lovely there. After our 20 minute rain, it then turned out hot, sunny & beautiful. However, lunch is on your own. No food provided. Though there is a little hut there with meals. I got a Cheese Quesadilla for $5 which seems like a lot until you see the size of it. It was huge.
For our 2nd dive we went to Flamingo. Same entry, a back roll. Our deepest depth was 76 ft. with an average depth of 60 ft. This dive was for 42 minutes. We saw a Stingray and some of the same fish. Again, it was awesome. Good dives, good people.
I enjoyed this dive company. Please note, it’s a bit of a ride to the dive shop area. They don’t yet have official transportation so usually it’s a cab ride there. However, as our group was large, one of the guys doing transportation at the port got us a van. It was $5 per person. You can’t walk it, it’s too far….
I think I covered everything. Any questions, feel free to ask….

I see I mistyped our departure date in my original post, saying 20 December when the cruise in fact left 30 December. So I now understand why some of you have been a bit impatient for me to get back to you! :D

Anyway, after some phone tag and a promised e-mail from Blue Ocean Safari which never arrived, we decided to book a two-tank dive in advance with Maya Palms Resort. Of all the ports on this cruise, Costa Maya was most generous with shore time, arriving at 7 a.m. and not leaving until 8 p.m., so this gave us a lot of flexibility to use operators not associated with the cruise line with a minimal risk of being left behind.

Booking was done over the phone with advance payment with a credit card. The owners of Maya Palms also own Bon Terre mine in Missouri and a group of dive shops in St. Louis, which is why they may answer the phone "West End" when you call expecting Maya Palms. We went for the two-tank dive package at $75 per person. The only equipment we rented was two regulators, at $10 each, and we paid another $10 each for lunch. The credit card receipt and reservation form were faxed to me, and I was asked to sign and fax it back.

We had been told the first dive would be at 10:30 a.m., which gave us plenty of time with an early arrival in Costa Maya. There were a total of three ships there, the Splendour of the Seas (our ship), the Legend of the Seas, and the Celebrity Victory. Naturally, all disembarked about the same time, which made for some sizeable crowds in the little shopping village that basically serves as the Costa Maya cruise terminal.

With those crowds, I can understand how the locals don't want long queues of taxis hanging around hustling customers. The basic routine for those not on a shore excursion is to buy a $3/person ticket for the shuttle to town. (A local taxi stand can be found if one goes about 600 yards outside the cruise terminal property, but since we were hauling all our gear we opted for the shuttle.) Despite the name, the shuttle is actually a full-size highway coach. The ride to town took about five minutes, with an intermediate stop to drop some folks off at Tequila Beach. Then we were dropped off at the entrance to the main street of Mahahual, a little fishing village of about 400 people. There was a line of taxis, and we tossed our gear in the truck and headed off for Maya Palms. We pretty much passed every other dive shop in town on the way there, including Blue Ocean Safari and Dream Time.

The taxi to Maya Palms cost $20 and took 25-30 minutes. The driver said he would return whenever we wanted him to. At the office, we were greeted by Doug, the owner. We turned our C-cards over to him and signed an agreement for the regulator rental. Then he led us through a path cut through the jungle to the centre of the resort, which includes a thatch roof bar/pavillion, swimming pool, restaurant (and maybe hotel) in the shape of a Mayan pyramid, and the dive shop.

At the dive shop we met Ken, manager and dive master/instructor who today would actually be the boat captain while Doug took us down. We also met the three other divers who would go out with us, a group from Vancouver BC who were crusing on the Victory. We suited up with tanks and weights and waded into the surf to board the smallest of the resort's two dive boats, which had plenty of room for just the seven of us.

Though the reef is only about 400 yards from the resort, due to a lot of shallow rocks out from the shore Ken had to navigate a winding path to get us to one of the cut-throughs, finally pinpointing the dive site with a GPS and a depth finder.

The first dive site was called Castillo One. The water was a pleasant 84 degrees -- we were quite comfortable in our 2 mil shorties. We reached a maximum depth of 94 feet, with an average depth of 52 ft. I was a bit surprised that we saw very few fish compared to our October dives in Playa del Carmen. Nevertheless, it was a spectactular experience as we had never dove through spur and groove coral formations. Some of the coral canyons were absolutely breathtaking, and visibility was probably 60-80 feet.

We surfaced and Doug asked us to hang close together on the surface until Ken had spotted us in the mild swells. The boat came along a few minutes later and we boarded and returned to the resort.

We had a dip in the pool, ate lunch, and walked to the top of the pyramid, supposedly the highest point in Costa Maya. From there we could see the cruise ships up the coast but actually very little of Mahahual. What we did see, other than the blue waters of the Caribbean, was the top of a lush jungle canopy extending to the horizon. And a bald eagle, which has made a nest in the resort's radio tower.

After a surface interval of about 2-1/2 hours, it was time for dive number two. One of the other divers had experienced ear problems on the first dive so he decided to sit out the second one. This time we went to a reef fairly close to the first one called Castillo Two. We went almost as deep as the first dive, 89 feet, but did not sustain the depth as long. The average depth was 43 feet and we were down for almost 45 minutes (the tanks on both dives had good fills -- ~3200 psi). The air temperature had warmed up quite a bit from the morning, and was approaching 95 degrees F.

One the second dive there was significantly more fish to be seen, including one large turtle. As we rode back in on the boat, Doug asked if we wanted a night dive. We probably could have swung it since the ship had such a late departure, but my wife was also experiencing some ear pain so we decided to call it a day (her ear pain would eventually scuttle the next day's planned dives in Cozumel. :( ) So we ended up rinsing our gear and then kicking back by the pool with a couple of cold cervesas until our taxi returned. Going back to the ship, it's still $20 but this time we bypassed the shuttle -- taxis can take you straight to the terminal as long as everyone shows their cruise ship cards.

In review, it was a great experience, and I would not hesitate to dive Maya Palms again. The place is remote -- the resort's electricity comes from a diesel generator -- so I'm not sure if I'd be interested in staying there any length of time at least until the area is more developed (nitrox is not currently available since they've had trouble obtaining a steady supply). However, since it's about a three-hour dive from Playa, we may break up our next trip there with a little overnighter to Maya Palms. And if you're on a cruise ship, the rustic and dusty roads south to the resort are well worth the adventure!

Happy Diving!
CW :14:

Mujuajal actually!
Now that's the fourth different way I've seen to spell it! :D

Yes, I guess underwater mountains would be a good way to describe them. The feeling of diving through the center of the canyons up and down the rises and valleys was awesome.

It was just us -- no other divers, never saw another boat even get near the place. Doug took a camera along and hopefully we'll get some good photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom